help choosing a fertilizer for shaded lawn?

jack8fire

Threads
hey guys I got a yard that's ok but I think could be a good bit thicker/greener, its pretty shaded an I know that's hurting it a little but I cant help that. whats a good cheap general fertalize I can get at walmart to give it a boost? please be kinda specific so I know exactly what to get. thanks

LoCo86

Threads
hey guys I got a yard that's ok but I think could be a good bit thicker/greener, its pretty shaded an I know that's hurting it a little but I cant help that. whats a good cheap general fertalize I can get at walmart to give it a boost? please be kinda specific so I know exactly what to get. thanks

I don't think fertilizer is your problem it's the type of grass you have on that area.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

I don't think fertilizer is going to help much in a shaded area. What type of grass are you working with at this point?

jack8fire

Threads
I'm not real sure...the front is St Augustine... Back where is thin has Bahia mixed with something else. He just wants it fertilized, what's the most common fertilize ppl use?

Jack17

Threads
Nitrogen, Phosphorous and Potassium are important in plant's metabolism because it helps in controlling water and chemicals inside the plants and then turning them into energy...use whatever has the most...some of it you'd need to inject into the soil 4-6" deep.

LoCo86

Threads

I'm my area we don't really deal with St. Augustine grass but I would say you need a fertilizer with a crabgrass pre emergent and a mix of 20-0-4 for the three main nutrients.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Rather than guessing do a soil test.

Attachments

• soil test chart 4-17-09.jpg
    soil test chart 4-17-09.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 12
  • soil test samples 4-17-09.jpg
    soil test samples 4-17-09.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 11

KrashnKraka

Threads

In a shade area the lawn is already fertilsed by humus.
What may work for you is aeration and some soil conditioner.

Punch some 5/8" holes 10" apart and 6" deep, topdress
with coarse river sand, removing excess to root height.
Add 11/2 cups of gypsum per sq, yd as a spread and water in.

Trust the post helps some....

KK

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I use a ground- engaging spreader (Brinkley)with the star wheels. It has worked well, but despite best efforts I do sometimes hit my pop-ups which usually destroys the caps and sometimes the pop-up itself. I used Wal Mart fert for years ($11/BAG)-dry white granular. It produced results, but after a lab analysis of pH I got really leery of everything. The scotts weed n feed never knocked out all the weed so I still have to spot spray 1 acre (PIA). So I read this post with interest, but still have not decided on fertilizer. Just replanted front yard with rye.