Hegde trimming questions

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Trimming hedges that are about 5-6 feet high is rather easy for me, because I can reach with my KM-90 with the hedge trimming attachment. Alltho, what would be the best way to trim tall hedges that are 7 feet and above? Could I use a simple ladder or would that be a little dangerous? I also thought about renting scaffolding (13$/day or 33$/week). Finally, what do I do when I have to trim hedges that are tall, but I am in a slope? Any recommendations for this?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Trimming hedges that are about 5-6 feet high is rather easy for me, because I can reach with my KM-90 with the hedge trimming attachment. Alltho, what would be the best way to trim tall hedges that are 7 feet and above? Could I use a simple ladder or would that be a little dangerous? I also thought about renting scaffolding (13$/day or 33$/week). Finally, what do I do when I have to trim hedges that are tall, but I am in a slope? Any recommendations for this?

For the most part unless you're creating a living wall hedges that are 5 feet and higher basically need to be removed and replaced. Trimming a hedge that's over 7 feet and getting it back to an acceptable height only exposes or leaves the base and it really will look terrible. Most hedges around the home should be kept at or around window height.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
For the most part unless you're creating a living wall hedges that are 5 feet and higher basically need to be removed and replaced. Trimming a hedge that's over 7 feet and getting it back to an acceptable height only exposes or leaves the base and it really will look terrible. Most hedges around the home should be kept at or around window height.

I am in Canada. This is a completely different climate. I've been in FL many times and I've seen the hedges around there. They are about 3-5 feet tall.

Around here it is normal to have a 6 feet hedge and even taller. They are cedar hedges. They can grow tall and still look good.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am in Canada. This is a completely different climate. I've been in FL many times and I've seen the hedges around there. They are about 3-5 feet tall.

Around here it is normal to have a 6 feet hedge and even taller. They are cedar hedges. They can grow tall and still look good.

Ok, they could be and are frequently used to make a living wall and yes they can be trimmed to great heights and still look good. To tell you the truth I don't know how I'd approach something like that.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ok, they could be and are frequently used to make a living wall and yes they can be trimmed to great heights and still look good. To tell you the truth I don't know how I'd approach something like that.

Allright. I guess I am just going to try out with a ladder. If that is not too good, I could rent some scaffolding for cheap and add it to the price of the job.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Use an orchard laddar. The and trim in front of you never above your head and never stand backwards on the ladder.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have no idea where to get that. I will do some research. Are they expensive?
I am just worried about sturdiness. The whole lader only holds on a little pick. How can that be sturdy?

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have no idea where to get that. I will do some research. Are they expensive?
I am just worried about sturdiness. The whole lader only holds on a little pick. How can that be sturdy?

Sturdier than a step ladder. The third leg sinks into the landscape and is very sturdy you'd be surprised. Also you tie the third leg to about the 3 or 4th step up stop the leg from flying out. But like all ladders you need to keep safety in mind

Mike88se

Threads
If you like the idea of scaffolding then Baker type can be had for about $150. If you do those jobs a lot then buying would be the way to go. Advantages: sturdy and about 6' of walkway. Disadvantages: weight and if you don't keep the legs clean then adjusting height is a PITA. If you were in Houston I'd make you a good deal on an extra I have... or just loan it to you when you needed it.
They sell those ladders at HD and Lowes that have independent adjustment of each side. They are made for working on stairs so they'd work well on slopes.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ahh I wish you were closer!

Yea, I've been considering those adjustable ladders also. Kinda like the Little giant ladder on tv.