Head gasket

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Remove the head, take a straight edge Across both head and block. Use a feeler gauge and see if you and put it between the straight edge and the head and also between straight efce and block.
The head is tested for warping , erosion & thread pulling .
Warping is done corner to corner and is very rare on a mower head
Erosion is quite common because the gasket starts to leak and the movement of gas , particularly burning gas erodes the metal from both the head & the block, exactly the same way a river erodes a valley or canyon.
On Inteks the bridge region between the push rod tunnel & cylinder is where it usually erodes.
Then we come to thread pulling
Run a short strait edge across all of the holes in the block
Usually you fund the metal has raised slightly at the edge of the holes
This happens because there is a tiny annulus of the block that has no support when the pressure is applied because the head gaskets are not a tight fit on the engine bolts .
The head can do the same thing but usually the hole just collapses onto the bolt which is why some times the head bolts will not pull out easily.
Using a thick large diameter washer avoids this because it spreads the load over a larger area and thus only the shear plane is massively larger .

For those who have tried to flatten an intek head and block the first thing you will notice is while it is flat, it is not smooth and on the first couple of strokes you reveal the tooling swirls from the fly cutter used to machine them at the factory.
Do not try to remove them completely they are there to prevent the gasket from walking under pressure

Now we come to torque
People will argue to the ends of earth weather they should be 21 ft lbs or 22 ft lbs etc etc etc
It does not make a wrinkled rats rectum of difference
Anything from around 15 ft lbs to 30 ft lbs is fine
15 is where the clamping force is no longer enough to hold the surfaces tight enough to resist the gas pressure during combustion .
30 is approaching the yield strength of the alloy threads in that diameter bolt .
What is vital which all the Face Book experts fail to appreciate is that ALL THE TORQUES ARE IDENTICAL.
This is why B & S Started to use in lbs in place of the usual ft lbs
when they say 240 in lbs that is 240 +/- 0.5 in lbs so they expect you to do those bolts up to within 1 in lb of each other .
This implied accuracy is what every one fails to understand
a tension wrench marked in in lbs only will be a lot more accurate than one marked in ft lbs only and thus a lot more expensive
If they specified 20 ft lbs again that is +/- 0.5 ft lb with is 12 in lbs and no where near as accurate or in this case consistent and consistency is why you are shooting for for not absolute accuracy .
and when it come to accuracy, very few torque wrenches under $ 100 will be accurate and of those that are they only read true over a limited temperature range and micrometer adjusted ones go out of calibration very quickly even if you back them all off past zero every time you have finished using them because the internal coil spring collapses with use , same as your car suspension springs sag or valve springs shorten over time .

Next we come to the actual tightening
the more steps the better ( within reason ) so torquing them in 3 or 4 steps will always yield a better result then hand tight then final torque .

Finally a full copper head gasket has copper all the way from the cylinder to the outside world
a std B & S gasket has nothing more than the very thin fire ring ( if that ) to hold back the combustion gasses .
Once that is breached then you have a composite layered joining board and that does not have the structural integrity to stop leaking between the layers

So go with Lanni's full copper gasket & it will be a last time you have to do the job, if you do it properly
FWIW I use a1/2" drill bit hand held to cut a tiny champher around all the bolt holes

Last edited:

Honest Abe

Threads
how to check your head bolts to see if they've been over torqued. Take a regular nut the size of your bolt and try spinning it onto the bolt. If it goes on without and real resistance then go ahead and reuse it/them. If you have to use any amount of force to get it on then toss that bolt . . .

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
how to check your head bolts to see if they've been over torqued. Take a regular nut the size of your bolt and try spinning it onto the bolt. If it goes on without and real resistance then go ahead and reuse it/them. If you have to use any amount of force to get it on then toss that bolt . . .
What about any dirt, rust or any other contaminant on the threads? You must have a huge bucket of perfectly good bolts you toss out LOL.

Honest Abe

Threads
What about any dirt, rust or any other contaminant on the threads? You must have a huge bucket of perfectly good bolts you toss out LOL.
if the bolt has rust on the inside threads you've got more of a problem than just a head gasket. If you're sticking a head bolt with rust on it back into the head then I dang sure don't want you working on any of my stuff ( . ) . . . . . .

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
if the bolt has rust on the inside threads you've got more of a problem than just a head gasket. If you're sticking a head bolt with rust on it back into the head then I dang sure don't want you working on any of my stuff ( . ) . . . . . .
For sure. I'm ordering all new bolts for all my mowers for every day of the week. Might get a snip of contamination on them while mowing. :rolleyes:

I agree, don't have me working on your mowers. No argument there.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
For sure. I'm ordering all new bolts for all my mowers for every day of the week. Might get a snip of contamination on them while mowing. :rolleyes:

I agree, don't have me working on your mowers. No argument there.
Keep it civil fellas
Abe is right, the thread can deform but they usually neck at the junction between the thread & the shank before the threads actually deform because the threads are constrained by the thread of what ever they are threaded into.
If you have a nut & bolt situation then over torquing will cause a deformation to the actual thread.
And this can be felt by running a CLOSE FITTING nut along the bolt
To a lesser extent this also works for through bolts like a B & S head bolt
But will not work for a bolt into a blind hole like most head bolts are .
In this case you measure the length of the bolt before & after .
Precision bolts are often ground at the end to be exactly the same length so you can detect a thou or two of elongation but B & S bolts are not precision they are standard roll forged domestic grade bolts and if you care to measure then you will find the lengths are all over the place and impossible to measure accurately because there is a rim around the end of the shank .

So again while technically correct this is something that does apply to automotive engines but is irrelevant to mower engines .

tank1949

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Husquvarna tractor. 18.5hp. Can anyone tell me why I have gone thru 4 head gaskets? This one being the 4th. Blows out right across from the plug. There is no way I screwed up 3 headgaskets. Getting a little tired of this crap. Are these engines junk? I can change a hot cylinder in a 2500hp EMD but can't keep this running. Should sell everything and buy a diesel....Slomo is correct, but you should have first did a compression test after the rebuild. If the head or block is warped, u may have to discard it, since the machine shop expenses to flatten parts will not justify keeping it. .

Honest Abe

Threads
Keep it civil fellas
Abe is right, the thread can deform but they usually neck at the junction between the thread & the shank before the threads actually deform because the threads are constrained by the thread of what ever they are threaded into.
If you have a nut & bolt situation then over torquing will cause a deformation to the actual thread.
And this can be felt by running a CLOSE FITTING nut along the bolt
To a lesser extent this also works for through bolts like a B & S head bolt
But will not work for a bolt into a blind hole like most head bolts are .
In this case you measure the length of the bolt before & after .
Precision bolts are often ground at the end to be exactly the same length so you can detect a thou or two of elongation but B & S bolts are not precision they are standard roll forged domestic grade bolts and if you care to measure then you will find the lengths are all over the place and impossible to measure accurately because there is a rim around the end of the shank .

So again while technically correct this is something that does apply to automotive engines but is irrelevant to mower engines .
".....this is something that does apply to automotive engines but is irrelevant to mower engines."

I would respectfully disagree; because, if there's rust on the "threads" then there's no doubt rust on the threads in the hole. Unless you run a tap into the hole and clean off the hole threads and blow the debris out as well then you run the risk of not accurately tightening the bolt(s). This is just my take, not saying I've ever seen it more than a bunch of times . . . . . .

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Point is that there is zero chance of stretching a steel bolt in an aluminium casting, it just can not happen
Bolt stretch when tightening into a cast iron block can happen but not into an alloy block tensioned to 20 ft lbs
That sort of torque is not even in the elastic deformation range.

Nothing wrong with the nut test for thread deformation except it is not applicable to mower engines .
And yes threads should be clean and dry but that should be a given .

Big Al O

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Husquvarna tractor. 18.5hp. Can anyone tell me why I have gone thru 4 head gaskets? This one being the 4th. Blows out right across from the plug. There is no way I screwed up 3 headgaskets. Getting a little tired of this crap. Are these engines junk? I can change a hot cylinder in a 2500hp EMD but can't keep this running. Should sell everything and buy a diesel....
Make sure the muffler & exhaust are not restricted