HD52 blade choice

Reiser

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all, so I'm in need of a new set of blades on my hd 52 and was thinking of going with g6 gators. Is this a smart move? Will the ztr lose any blade speed by doing this? Or should I go with just high lifts or g5 blades? Thanks in advance.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hi all, so I'm in need of a new set of blades on my hd 52 and was thinking of going with g6 gators. Is this a smart move? Will the ztr lose any blade speed by doing this? Or should I go with just high lifts or g5 blades? Thanks in advance.

:welcome:

Oregon do a lot of research with their premium products so check their web site for their recommendations.
Some variations will not work on particular decks.
If in doubt ring their customer service they are very helpful but please have your manual with you so you can tell them the part number of the blades that were fitted standard and your deck details.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

You can use what ever you like but I'd go with the Gator blades but use the G3 instead of the G5. The G3 work real well on the residential mowers because there a little lighter than the G5 and they wont put as much stress on your spindles. The G6 Blades I think you'll find are for commercial use or mowers only.

Reiser

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the replies, Oregons website says I can run any of the g3,g5 or,g6. The blades that are standard on the mower are a .203"X 2.5" just like the g5. Would really like to try the g6 for the extra lift.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks for the replies, Oregons website says I can run any of the g3,g5 or,g6. The blades that are standard on the mower are a .203"X 2.5" just like the g5. Would really like to try the g6 for the extra lift.

Your not going to get anymore lift from the G6 than the G5 or G3 there all 1 1/4 " air lift, the same. The difference in the blades is the G5 and G3 are .203 in thickness but the G6 is .250 in thickness making it a lot heavier blade, that's why the commercial guys use them and both 5 and 6 are the same width 3" not 2.5".
The G3 is .203 in thickness and 2.5" in width which also match the spec's of the blades that are already on your mower. Basically if all your interested in is lift then to buy Gator Blades is wasting your money because that's not there purpose. Just buy High Lift blades, there probably cheaper.

Last edited:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Your not going to get anymore lift from the G6 than the G5 or G3 there all 1 1/4 " air lift, the same. The difference in the blades is the G5 and G3 are .203 in thickness but the G6 is .250 in thickness making it a lot heavier blade, that's why the commercial guys use them and both 5 and 6 are the same width 3" not 2.5".
The G3 is .203 in thickness and 2.5" in width which also match the spec's of the blades that are already on your mower. Basically if all your interested in is lift then to buy Gator Blades is wasting your money because that's not there purpose. Just buy High Lift blades, there probably cheaper.

The G6 I run actually lift less then the factory high lift blades. I use them because they a heaver and thicker witch allows me to run them longer. I also think(this is my feeling no proof) that the heaver blade cuts taller grass better because of its inertia. It takes a little more to start them and a little more to stop them.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
The G6 I run actually lift less then the factory high lift blades. I use them because they a heaver and thicker witch allows me to run them longer. I also think(this is my feeling no proof) that the heaver blade cuts taller grass better because of its inertia. It takes a little more to start them and a little more to stop them.

They will lift less than a regular high lift blade. Gator Blades do have a high lift but are not designed for or as a high lift blade. They also like Bert said don't work on all decks. The the reason you see so many people complain about there decks plugging up or there leaving clumps of grass all over there lawns when they use gator blades is they are cutting to much grass. Gator blades work best or perform at their best when you only cut an inch to inch and a half off your grass.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
They will lift less than a regular high lift blade. Gator Blades do have a high lift but are not designed for or as a high lift blade. They also like Bert said don't work on all decks. The the reason you see so many people complain about there decks plugging up or there leaving clumps of grass all over there lawns when they use gator blades is they are cutting to much grass. Gator blades work best or perform at their best when you only cut an inch to inch and a half off your grass.

I agree 100%.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I ran the gator blades for a couple years. $60 every 5 weeks.
Switched to a toro low lift blade $38 every 8 weeks.
Tech at toro dealer also said I should double the life of my spindle bearings by not running gator blades.