HD52, 991083 loud deck when engaged!

bassadict69

Threads
Now that I know the type of bearings used I would drill the housing and fit a grease nipple.
The metal shields do not make a water tight seal so the grease will pass by the shield and keep the bearings lubricated .
Just do not overdo it.
Any videos on how to do this? I don't have any experience at all with bearings, much less with drilling holes and adding zerks...

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
As Bert mention use an arbor the drive in the bearing on the outer bearing. Here I have a large selection of deep well sockets that I use with a brass hammer. A similar thing is done on bearing that are fitted on shafts but you drive on the inner bearing in those cases.

And Bert you might need explain what a discharge bearing is as I have yet to hear that term used with bearings. Sounds like something to do with electrical discharges.

bassadict69

Threads
Did you not watch the video?
I have now...sorry! When I asked, I hadn't yet had time to sit still long enough to watch it.

Today, I hope to pull one of the spindles and try my hand at removing the bearings.

bassadict69

Threads
As Bert mention use an arbor the drive in the bearing on the outer bearing. Here I have a large selection of deep well sockets that I use with a brass hammer. A similar thing is done on bearing that are fitted on shafts but you drive on the inner bearing in those cases.

And Bert you might need explain what a discharge bearing is as I have yet to hear that term used with bearings. Sounds like something to do with electrical discharges.
Mind if I ask what size socket I will need so I can pick one up if I don't have it?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Would be hard to tell as different brands on impact sockets have different ODs. But the CSA205-16 bearing is just a tad over 52mm OD and you want the arbor just a tad shy of the OD as to not stick.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
FWIW
When I remove a ball race I rip out the cages then pull out the balls
The balls get kept for shot peening , weight bags and other useful stuff.
The inners & outers get ground down slightly so they just slide through the housings
Thus they get used to replace the bearings as I press bearings in if the housing is out

And Star, thanks for the heads up.
Added the missing word Side ( discharge side bearings ) .

bassadict69

Threads
I got a spindle removed but cannot for the life of me break loose the piece thats screwed into the spindle covering the bearing...I'm using a pipe wrench on each end and a cheater pipe 4 ft long! It moves slightly, just enough to make me think I am accomplishing something, then it stops! I've sprayed it several times with penetrant...would a little heat hurt anything?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A little heat will not hurt and a lot of heat will not hurt even less
I would have held the shaft in a vice after replacing the Key so it can not turn.
Then punch & hammer onto the ring.
it might be worthwhile to get a pin spannar or make one to fit the two holes
Now you see why I took the effort to mention putting some copper anti sieze on it when ti goes back in.
The Ikon has a very similar spindle and right now I feel for you.
Moderate heat followed by a spray with your favourite penetrant ( not WD40 ) several times will probably help
Note, only play the flame on the ring, not on the shaft
You want the ring to expand and the shaft to remain cold to breal the seal caused by corrosion & dirt .