having trouble with spark

robinb66

Threads
Hey guys my f series is giving me fits replaced the airvane yesterday and it started great got up this morning to mow the lawn and the darn thing would not start so I checked the fire and sure enough it wasn't getting any so I checked the plug bought a new one and still no fire so I re gapped the coil at 10 thousandths and cleaned the magnets, still no fire it's a brand new coil so i'm pretty sure that's not it, is there 1 set of magnets on the flywheel with the opposite side being a counterweight or are they both supposed to be magnets??

fabricgator

Threads
How about the ignition switch, it grounds the coil to stop the spark...

Any chance it is out of position or grounded somewhere? Pinched wire maybe?

I think it is just the one magnet and a counterweight. Fires once for each revolution.

Remember, it worked great when it left the factory. Always look to where the last technician was working.

robinb66

Threads
I'm thinking that may be it but I unplugged the kill switch and it still didn't fire but I thought lawnboys were backward because when I first got it I took off the shroud and forgot to plug one of the wires from the switch up and it wouldn't fire until it was plugged up again so I'm pretty sure lawnboy were different in that they have to have both parts of the coil grounded to each other because one wire is coming from the ignition and in order to run it has to have a complete circuit to the ground on the coil to work, when the switch is off the connection is broken and the ignition is seperated from the coil wich in turn breaks the circuit and kills the spark unlike a briggs!

fabricgator

Threads
Yeah, I was thinking that shortly after I wrote that reply. I just remember that the switch grounds to the chassis, some maybe on completes the circuit to ground as opposed to it grounding out the spark(like a briggs)
I am surprised someone hasn't chimed in and set us straight.

Keep us updated when you find it. I'm curious. It really is a simple system though, give it a good look over.
You have the manuals?

Phototone

Threads
Early "F" engine LawnBoys used a coil that had to be grounded to spark. Later model "F" engine Lawnboys used a coil that had to be grounded to stop the spark. In either case, the flywheel has just one set of magnets and the opposite side is just a counterweight. You can use late model "F" engine coils on early pre-compliance "F" engine mowers but the on/off switch will have reverse function. Turn it "off" to run, Turn it "ON" to kill engine.