***hasn't cut yard all year***

Threads
I was approached today by a client and she said her mother needed someone to cut their yard. Here's the catch, they haven't cut it all year long and it is very very tall. My question to you guys is how do I go about charging for this job. And any tips on cutting it? Or should I stay away from it. She said its about knee high if that helps

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
A lot of grasses will not do well with extreme cutting... The best cut would be in 3 or more cuts and you will have a lot of 'hay' to remove.... not an imposable job but it will be a bit of a time eater... :smile:KennyV

LandN

Threads
I was approached today by a client and she said her mother needed someone to cut their yard. Here's the catch, they haven't cut it all year long and it is very very tall. My question to you guys is how do I go about charging for this job. And any tips on cutting it? Or should I stay away from it. She said its about knee high if that helps

Walk the yard out and make sure no debris is hidden,...consider using a long handle sickle to start with to get it knocked down a little bit,...then start with the mower (on high setting).this is not an ordinary job so the charge will be higher than normal,you'll have to determine that.Probably hourly rather than flat rate.this i say is based on a smallish city size lot/yard a larger size country lot i would bring a large wheeled string trimmer(dr style). and remember the neighbors will be watching, so you might have a chance at getting extra accounts.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
How large is the area to be cut ?

When I cut high grass for a neighbor .... I use the Gator Blades (or the Meg-Mo blades) and cut as high as possible, Go back in a couple days, cut again at about 1/2 mower height, couple days, final cut still leaving it a little higher than normal, next time it should not need the extra cuts.

I'd also probably do hourly until the area is ready for normal cutting.

Side Note: What happened with the wet Septic problem ?

Threads
Ah nothing yet, its not time to go back, but I've decided to just tell her I'm no longer going cut it til she fixes it.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds like a plan to me.... If she wants you to keep doing the job, she'll get the Septic fixed. {that should be done anyway}. If it gets too deep in the interim, I'd charge extra to get it back in shape.
Ah nothing yet, its not time to go back, but I've decided to just tell her I'm no longer going cut it til she fixes it.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
OK - Hope it helps ! :biggrin:

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Don't think I'm not still around.....:biggrin:

But, since it's already been decided elsewhere I have no business sense, I shall refrain....:wink:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads

I chop down waist high overgrown weeds with my 4210 when I want to enlarge my yard, any powerful tractpr can easily handle the job. Charge by the hour, at least $50 per hour as you will burn a lot of fuel.