Has switching to a synthetic 2 cycle oil cleaned the combinstion chamber of your LB?

franchi

Threads
  • / Has switching to a synthetic 2 cycle oil cleaned the combinstion chamber of your LB?
Hello:

I am thinking of switching to a synthetic oil to clean the carbon deposits from the piston, cylinder and rings of my two 1970's Lawn Boy mowers. Has anybody had success with this happening? If so, what oil did you find cleaned your engine?

Tia,

Franchi

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Has switching to a synthetic 2 cycle oil cleaned the combinstion chamber of your LB?
Water will work wonders.
Remove the air filter and spray water into the carb venturi using a trigger sprayer set to "mist or spray".
Do not direct a steam of water into the engine, just as much mist as the engine will take without faltering at about 1/2 full revs.
It is a good idea to remove the muffler as well.
When you have finished run the engine for 10 minutes or so to re-coat the cylinder with oil as the water will have scoured the oil from the cylinder wall and it will rust if left in this condition for any length of time.

Last edited by a moderator:

lewb

Threads
Seafoam will probably do the same through the gas tank to clean up the carbon. You can find a bottle of that at any Walmart. I would think any synthetic oil would be better than traditional base oil for carbon build up, look for 2stroke oil made for use with power valves. I have used Blue Marble in my 2 stroke lawn equipment as well as my high power snowmobile engines, the power valves do not every get gummed up with carbon in years of use. You can find it on Amazon in quarts and usually has free shipping.