Hard Time Removing Pulley from Spindle + Rough Spindles

cprice12

Threads
  • / Hard Time Removing Pulley from Spindle + Rough Spindles
So, I bought a used Bush Hog ZT25. Great mower.
But it sat for a couple years in a barn before I bought it and a few things needed to be replaced, such as the belts and whatnot.

After a few mows, the deck belt shredded.
I bought another one, and it was thrown after a couple more mows.
I inspected the pulleys and it seems that the pulley's V's are bumpy/rough in spots...some rust and corrosion I guess. At any rate, it isn't smooth like it should be.
So I took a stiff putty knife to try and scrape them out and smooth them down, which worked to some degree. I also used a wire brush attachment on my drill to try to smooth it out.
It got most of it, but it isn't as smooth as I'd like yet.
After the last mow, I checked out the deck belt...and there were some very fine belt shavings under the deck cover. So it seems the belt is still getting worn...so I want to just replace the pulleys. It'll cost like $60 to replace three of them...so that is well worth it since a deck belt costs $35.

The problem is, I can't get the pulley off of the spindle. I removed the nut with an impact wrench with no problem, but the pulley won't budge. The flat washer from under the nut seems fused to the pulley. All 3 pulleys that I want to replace are like this.

Am I missing something?
Any advice on removing the pulleys?

Also, the PTO pulley "V" is rough in a spot or two as well...and I'd rather not replace that part (it ain't cheap), so any advice on grinding down the rough spots so they are smooth would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
So, I bought a used Bush Hog ZT25. Great mower. But it sat for a couple years in a barn before I bought it and a few things needed to be replaced, such as the belts and whatnot. After a few mows, the deck belt shredded. I bought another one, and it was thrown after a couple more mows. I inspected the pulleys and it seems that the pulley's V's are bumpy/rough in spots...some rust and corrosion I guess. At any rate, it isn't smooth like it should be. So I took a stiff putty knife to try and scrape them out and smooth them down, which worked to some degree. I also used a wire brush attachment on my drill to try to smooth it out. It got most of it, but it isn't as smooth as I'd like yet. After the last mow, I checked out the deck belt...and there were some very fine belt shavings under the deck cover. So it seems the belt is still getting worn...so I want to just replace the pulleys. It'll cost like $60 to replace three of them...so that is well worth it since a deck belt costs $35. The problem is, I can't get the pulley off of the spindle. I removed the nut with an impact wrench with no problem, but the pulley won't budge. The flat washer from under the nut seems fused to the pulley. All 3 pulleys that I want to replace are like this. Am I missing something? Any advice on removing the pulleys? Also, the PTO pulley "V" is rough in a spot or two as well...and I'd rather not replace that part (it ain't cheap), so any advice on grinding down the rough spots so they are smooth would be much appreciated. Thanks.

What I do is put a piece of 2x4 on the spindle shaft and hit with a hammer.
I would also replace the bearings while you have it apart.

I use a file to smooth out the pulleys.

cprice12

Threads
What I do is put a piece of 2x4 on the spindle shaft and hit with a hammer.
I would also replace the bearings while you have it apart.

I use a file to smooth out the pulleys.

The grease fitting is on top of the spindle...wouldn't that damage that?

And I'll try a file on the PTO pulley...thanks.