Guess what I've just bought!?

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
A new mower! And not just any crappy store brand mower (like last time... And that ended in a bent flywheel!), a...

Mountfield!

And not just any Mountfield, the SP414 model, yep, that's SP as in Self Propelled! :biggrin:

As with most lower end Mountfield mowers it has a Mountfield engine, an RS100 model, and here are the specifications:

100CC
2.0KW (2.6HP)
3,600RPM MAX

OK, it isn't a very powerful engine, but my lawn is hardly a jungle, it just gets an inch or two trimmed off it every 5-6 days, so she'll manage just fine.

I would post pictures... But it is still in the box! The grass doesn't need mowed, as I just did it this morning (prior to buying) with the electric mower, but on Monday or Tuesday it'll need done, so I'll haul her out of the box, mantel her, and get the camera out!

I'm really chuffed with my purchase!

They had one assembled in the store, and it looked the business. Big, sturdy, and with a Mountfield badge on it, so you can't really go wrong there.

Ah... I'm back with petrol (gas) mowers again :smile:

Last edited:

Black Bart

Threads
A new mower! And not just any crappy store brand mower (like last time... And that ended in a bent flywheel!), a...

Mountfield!

And not just any Mountfield, the SP414 model, yep, that's SP as in Self Propelled! :biggrin:

As with most lower end Mountfield mowers it has a Mountfield engine, an RS100 model, and here are the specifications:

100CC
2.0KW (2.6HP)
3,600RPM MAX

OK, it isn't a very powerful engine, but my lawn is hardly a jungle, it just gets an inch or two trimmed off it every 5-6 days, so she'll manage just fine.

I would post pictures... But it is still in the box! The grass doesn't need mowed, as I just did it this morning (prior to buying) with the electric mower, but on Monday or Tuesday it'll need done, so I'll haul her out of the box, mantel her, and get the camera out!

I'm really chuffed with my purchase!

They had one assembled in the store, and it looked the business. Big, sturdy, and with a Mountfield badge on it, so you can't really go wrong there.

Ah... I'm back with petrol (gas) mowers again :smile:
Well I learned something today. I never heard of a Mountfield and I would have bet you could not buy a self propelled mower with a 2.6 HP Engine:eek:

My 21 inch push mower has a 6.0 HP :biggrin:

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
Yeah I know, 2.6HP seems quite weak for just mowing, let alone driving the wheels, but there is a review of the same model that says it works great, so it must work somehow!

On the up side, an advantage of only being 2.6HP, is that it will use less fuel than the 3.5HP I had before.

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
. <---- did I do that right? :smile:

Doesn't seem so to me, but I had to look up "chuffed".
I choose the first one google offered, the urban ditionary. "Chuffed" has some new meanings...aparently:eek:

I did not expect that!

Nice mower, by the way.

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
I'm confused with all these words :laughing:

Jetblast

Threads
Teckle is Dundonian slang so that probably wasn't the right word for your region. Easy mistake, you Scotsmen all look alike to us. :biggrin:

"Oh, and am I right in saying it'd be better for my grass to mow it without the grass bag and let the cuttings sit ?"

I've always left my clippings as fertilizer. They'll supposedly contribute around one third of your lawn's fertilizer needs (anecdotal info) and since I don't fertilize, at least the grass is getting something from up top instead of nothing. My grass looks amazing to me, so at least it doesn't appear to be hurting anything.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Good looking mower... & I like the size of the engine and the size of the deck... 39cm a great trimmer, I do not think anyone offers a small mower in the USA...
Here is a picture of your mower... I like red mowers... :smile:KennyV

Attachments

• SP414.jpg
    SP414.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 14