GT 235

JohnL_NY

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi All, first time posting and just joined.

I have a John Deere GT 235, it was running well for the past few years, but just recently it started stalling on me. I use it only a few times a year, so it sits for weeks and often needs to be jumped, which is understandable. It was taken care of well its first few years, but used like a work horse. The past few years, it was not maintained as well, but still taken care of.

The stalling, it starts (when jumped) no problem. I hold the choke lever up, press the peddle down, and turn the key and it starts just fine. As soon as I let go of the choke it stalls. If I hold it up it runs, but not smoothly. I have changed the fuel filter and air filter.

I am thinking it could be the carburetor, does that make sense? Or some sort of switch?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would be leaning toward carb, but also need to take into account that the dead battery can play havoc on some electrical components the require a constant feed of battery voltage to function properly. Without battery voltage to the voltage regulator it will not close the internal circuitry to allow charge voltage out, which can then shut down the fuel solenoid on the carb.

JohnL_NY

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok, thanks Ilengine. That makes a lot of sense. I was planning on purchasing and installing a trickle charger but maybe a new battery would also help.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Ok, thanks Ilengine. That makes a lot of sense. I was planning on purchasing and installing a trickle charger but maybe a new battery would also help.
Before you start buying batteries and chargers, can you at least test battery? Do you have a multimeter? If the anti afterfire solenoid on carburetor is working properly, then I am leaning towards a dirty carburetor.

JohnL_NY

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, am I just touch the to terminals on the battery after it starts? or on the solenoid.