GREENWORKS 60 V Lawn mower

Charlie8d

Threads
This is my 4th year using my Greenworks 60V tools. I have a 21" self propelled mower & absolutely love it. I have 1/2 acre in Florida that I cut using its 2 batteries that came with the mower, & a double charger. It takes a maximum of 1 hour to full charge these batteries. They will last til I am about 2/3 finished. I have extra batteries that I can then use, or take a break while those are recharging. I love the mower so much that I also bought a String Trimmer, that came with 1 battery & a single charger. I also bought a Blower, hedge trimmer , chain saw, with battery & charger, & a power station. I am still using the original blade , too. The warranty will expire after this season & it has more than paid for itself. This mower cost no more that a good quality gas self propelled mower.
You cannot expect this mower to perform exactly like a gas mower. You should never cut wet grass, or very high grass, which you really shouldn't do with a gas mower, either. It will go as fast as you can walk . I do not gather the mulch, so I cannot tell you how well the included bag works.
I know some people may never part with their gas mowers , which is fine with me. But, I will keep using these tools.

TiredRetired

Threads
I just purchased a Ryobi 40V HP self propelled mower. After some landscaping on my property I now only need a walk behind for about 10 minutes worth of mowing with my Cub Cadet picking up the remaining one hour's worth of mowing so for me going electric was a no brainer. You are correct. Dry grass, cut your grass often and never let your mower get close to a hose or rain. Clean the underside of the deck with a plastic putty knife and my neighbor tells me after cleaning a light coat of Fluid Film facilitates a quick and easy cleanup even if you do not want to clean it up immediately after mowing.

Good lithium battery management dictates that one should not discharge a battery fully then charge it immediately and then discharge it again. Best practice is to discharge to 25%, let it cool and use a spare to finish. After cool down charge them and then remove from the charger. With this regimen, I have 3 Milwaukee M18 batteries that still work great after 12 years.

Last edited:

Charlie8d

Threads
You should get plenty of service out of it. A friend of mine has the same mower that he has used for about 6-7 years. I take good care of everything I own . I blow out mine all over , then clean any accumulation from the deck. Pam cooking spray gives the deck a slick coating , too. I have weak shoulders that dislocate easily, so jerking on a rope to start gas tools , is in my past !

TonyPrin

Threads
There are many here who post negative comments on battery powered mowers. Most have never touched one.

RayMcD

Threads
There are many here who post negative comments on battery powered mowers. Most have never touched one.
Nope, but how many have you seen burning up.

GearHead36

Threads
Which means what? Common sense dictates there are more fires with gas mowers than battery.
I wouldn't be making this argument. There may be more fires with gas mowers than battery, but there are still WAY more gas mowers out there. And gas fires can be put out. Battery fires cannot. Batteries contain fuel and an oxidizer, so if they catch fire, they are burning until the fuel is gone. Battery mowers have advantages over gas, but fire safety is not one of them.

TonyPrin

Threads
I wouldn't be making this argument. There may be more fires with gas mowers than battery, but there are still WAY more gas mowers out there. And gas fires can be put out. Battery fires cannot. Batteries contain fuel and an oxidizer, so if they catch fire, they are burning until the fuel is gone. Battery mowers have advantages over gas, but fire safety is not one of them.
I agree that lithium-ion batteries like those in mowers can cause a fire, but IMO gasoline is much more likely to ignite and burn. Nearly everyone uses lithium-ion batteries and they're found in almost every home. Products include cellphones, laptops, iPads, toys, flashlights, cameras, and even medical devices like pacemakers. The idea we should avoid using these things (or a mower) due to fire hazard seems silly. And I suspect everyone who posts about mower lithium-ion battery fire risk has several other lithium-ion battery products. Millions of people carry cellphones, but I believe almost all of them would consider it risky to carry a flask of gasoline and for good reason.

Beyond that, my understanding is a lithium-ion battery doesn't contain metallic lithium so a typical ABC extinguisher can be used to extinguish it. Fire risk with mass storage is different, just as it is with gasoline.

Last edited:

GearHead36

Threads
From this link:

Battery-powered vehicles account for a small share of car fires, but controlling EV fires is difficult. Typically, an EV fire burns at roughly 5,000 degrees Fahrenheit (2,760 Celsius), while a gasoline-powered vehicle on fire burns at 1,500 F (815 C). It takes about 2,000 gallons of water to extinguish a burning gasoline-powered vehicle; putting out an EV fire can take 10 times more.

From this link:

Part of the challenge for firefighters is that these batteries can be unpredictable. If there is a charging failure, a puncture or an impact from a crash, the batteries can ignite and lead to a phenomenon known as "thermal runaway."

"It's a chemical reaction where the heat from one cell of the battery ignites the next cell," said Andrew Klock, senior manager of training and education at the National Fire Protection Association. "If you think about it, it's like a bunch of matchsticks and if you light one and they're all touching each other, the next one will ignite."

In 2017, a 2016 Tesla model X SUV crashed into an open garage and ignited in Orange County, California. It took two hours for firefighters to extinguish the structural fire. But after they pulled the SUV out into the driveway, the battery reignited, then stabilized for about 45 minutes before it reignited again. Two hours later, after it was loaded onto a tow truck, it began smoking and reignited a third time. It took nearly five hours to completely extinguish the EV fire.

According to Tesla's emergency response guide for the Model X: "Battery fires can take up to 24 hours to fully cool. … There must be no fire, smoke, audible popping/hissing, or heating present in the high voltage battery for at least 45 minutes before the vehicle can be released to second responders (such as law enforcement, vehicle transporters, etc.)." It goes on to say, "Always advise second responders that there is a risk of battery re-ignition."

In a 2018 incident in Mountain View, California, authorities say a Tesla crash resulted in the vehicle's battery going into thermal runaway. It reignited five days after it was thought to have been under control, injuring two firefighters and a tow truck driver. A week after the incident, Tesla posted on its blog that "Tesla battery packs are designed so that in the rare circumstance a fire occurs, it spreads slowly so that occupants have plenty of time to get out of the car."

Thanks, TonyPrin for prompting me to do a bit more research on the subject. I was starting to warm up to the idea of a battery powered mower. For others, mostly. I still have way too much mowing for a battery mower. I really DO like how quiet they are. Not any more. In fact, it looks like I need to be more concerned over the batteries in my laptops.