Great price on motor oil (gas engines)

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's funny but two-stroke oil is one of those things that rarely goes on sale. Not that it's a big deal -- I don't use that much of it because the engines are small and very fuel-efficient.

The funny thing is, Sears and other places prefer to sell you those tiny little 3.2 ounce bottles of oil that you can mix with two gallons of gas for 40/1 ratio, and the 3.2 ounces cost a buck, but if you buy a 32 ounce quart of 2-stroke for three dollars you get a much better deal. Makes me think of those stores that sell you "pre-mixed 50/50 coolant" for the same price per gallon as full strength antifreeze. Buy a gallon of full strength for $10, or a gallon of 50/50 premix for $10...you are paying $5 for a half gallon of WATER. How can anyone be so dumb....:laughing::laughing::eek:

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
The funny thing is, Sears and other places prefer to sell you those tiny little 3.2 ounce bottles of oil that you can mix with two gallons of gas for 40/1 ratio, and the 3.2 ounces cost a buck, but if you buy a 32 ounce quart of 2-stroke for three dollars you get a much better deal. ...:laughing::laughing::eek:

Those little 3.2 ounce bottles annoy me but usually the only alternative is to get the squeeze bottle (good for about three gallons of gas) that has a measuring compartment on top -- it's handy since you don't need a separate measuring container.

Question: where do you see a quart of two-stroke oil for sale? I guess I've been looking in the wrong places but I don't know where to buy it.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Those little 3.2 ounce bottles annoy me but usually the only alternative is to get the squeeze bottle (good for about three gallons of gas) that has a measuring compartment on top -- it's handy since you don't need a separate measuring container.

Question: where do you see a quart of two-stroke oil for sale? I guess I've been looking in the wrong places but I don't know where to buy it.

The local Meijers, Menards, Home Depot, and Lowes stores, as well as any major auto parts retailer like Advance Auto, sell two stroke oil but I buy a quart so rarely I don't pay attention to the price. I have saved all those little 3.2 oz. bottles that came with new trimmers, etc and refill them from the quart so I have the proper amount ready to add to 2 gallons of gas. Has been a LONG time since I have seen those little green cans of Lawn Boy two stroke oil, those must be collectors items by now.

The big box stores often put two stroke oil by the chain saws and lawn care equipment section as well as the areas they sell auto oil.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
The local Meijers, Menards, Home Depot, and Lowes stores, as well as any major auto parts retailer like Advance Auto, sell two stroke oil but I buy a quart so rarely I don't pay attention to the price. I have saved all those little 3.2 oz. bottles that came with new trimmers, etc and refill them from the quart so I have the proper amount ready to add to 2 gallons of gas. Has been a LONG time since I have seen those little green cans of Lawn Boy two stroke oil, those must be collectors items by now.

The big box stores often put two stroke oil by the chain saws and lawn care equipment section as well as the areas they sell auto oil.

Thanks for the response. I'll try Advance Auto -- I haven't been to one of those in a while. Neither Home Depot nor Lowes carry quarts of two-stroke oil around here. The other stores that you mentioned are not in my area.

Anyway, it's not that big a deal since those little engines are such fuel-sippers.:biggrin:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for the response. I'll try Advance Auto -- I haven't been to one of those in a while. Neither Home Depot nor Lowes carry quarts of two-stroke oil around here. The other stores that you mentioned are not in my area.

Anyway, it's not that big a deal since those little engines are such fuel-sippers.:biggrin:

Of course the big box stores want you to buy the tiny 3.2 oz. bottle...more profit. Was just thinking that any decent motorcycle or ATV dealership would probably have a big selection of two stroke oils.

Hey, does anybody here remember "Full Bore Racing Lubricant" from the middle to late 60's?

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads

Hey, does anybody here remember "Full Bore Racing Lubricant" from the middle to late 60's?

That doesn't ring a bell -- and those were my big "motor head" years.:laughing:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
That doesn't ring a bell -- and those were my big "motor head" years.:laughing:

It was a specialized, expensive two stroke oil, last year I saw the ads was about 1967 or 1968...many motorcycle magazines featured them.