Repairs Greasing Steering Shaft Gears

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Whether you have a new lawn or garden tractor or you've had your tractor for a while, it is very important to grease gears every time you perform maintenance. I purchased my tractor new three years ago from a dealer and nothing had been greased. It's a good idea to look it over before bringing a new tractor home. You will have metal grinding against metal if grease was not applied. Use lithium grease on steering shaft gears and grease them thoroughly. If they have never been greased you will notice a considerable difference. My suggestion to all manufacturers would be to incorporate a cover over steering shaft gears with an external grease fitting, this would keep dirt and debris from clinging to greased gears. If you are, or have a friend that is good at fabrication, you can make your own cover. Just wanted to point this out, thanks.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
mark, right on. my craftsman responds to the greasing , and a dirt cover is a good idea

possum

Threads
Honest. I asked 4 people today if they greased the steering gears on their lawn tractors. None of them greased the gears. None of them had a grease gun or any grease. Three of them did not know what a steering gear was or where it was located. One of them thought they knew and pointed to the rear of the tractor. Two of them were women over 50 years of age. One of them was 23 years old and a male. The last one was a 73 year old male and had never serviced a lawn tractor himself in his lifetime. That is why there is no cover. That is why there is no grease zerks. But you are right. They need something better than they have.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I wipe the top and just work it in along the tooth arc . Does make a difference

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I take my gun and put a few pumps on the gears every Saturday. I grease everything that moves only takes a few mins and keeps everything working like new.

(( cowboy up and get over it ))

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Looks like I needed to grease more than just the gears. Had to replace a hex flange today. Cheap $3.15 part cost me a hour and a half

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
what is a hex flange?

The steering shaft sits in this at the gear end.

I guess some would call it a bearing hex flange

Why they just don't use a bearing I don't know

image-1511872945.png

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
mark, right on. my craftsman responds to the greasing , and a dirt cover is a good idea

Just a suggestion: A rubber shift boot new or old would work. An old tire inner tube would work also. Thinking outside the box here, cut and trim to fit. Use tie straps, wire ties, to fasten to steering shaft. Depending on setup, you might have to fasten down at topside with a few screws, just be careful and check out what to and where you'll be fastening screws. We're talking steering here so you have to be very careful. Tires, brakes, and steering are the three most important and critical areas when talking about motorized safety. You don't have to remove steering column assembly, put thinking cap on, map it out and cut piece of rubber to fit over steering shaft. This modification will not keep all dirt and debris from clinging to steering gears, but it will keep a good deal out. Next time you go to grease gears you might have to cut a tie strap or two in order to insert grease gun, so you're out a tie strap or two. Make sure there is no interference with steering column or gears, take it for a drive and see how she does.