Blades grease ??

jimwest

Forum Newbie
Threads
My Troybuilt RZT Mustang ZT50 is about 4 months old. Making a grinding noise with blades engaged. Thought I'd grease the blade bearings. To my surprize, I can't find any zerk fittings, and none are mentioned in the operator's manual.

Surely I am overlooking something. There just has to be some sort of grease fitting ?????

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
My Troybuilt RZT Mustang ZT50 is about 4 months old. Making a grinding noise with blades engaged. Thought I'd grease the blade bearings. To my surprize, I can't find any zerk fittings, and none are mentioned in the operator's manual.

Surely I am overlooking something. There just has to be some sort of grease fitting ?????

Sorry to hear of a problem so soon but I doubt you are overlooking anything. Your mower probably has sealed bearings and greasing would be counter productive. I realize some have sealed bearings and zerks but those are all a waste of time and grease.

If the grinding noise is a bad bearing, it's time for warranty repair.

I'm sorry to say the manufacturers of those type bearing units failed to pay attention to detail and they have been a thorn in the side for thousands of mower owners. Also when they are repaired at dealers / shops they still have that same problem. Mine get that detail attended to and the premature failure goes away.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check the clearance on the idle pulley with the blades are engaged. Engine off. Also if the bearing are as bad as you say, you should be able to feel which bearing is bad, when you turn them by hand.

jimwest

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure if I had it to do over if I'd buy a Troy Built. I am 6'2" and the seat does not go back far enough to sit comfortably.

And I have never had a riding mower that rode like a log wagon as this one does. Every little bump is felt in the rear end and back.

And one final complaint. My old Wheelhorse/Toro could be throttled down to where I could just use it to ride around the acreage. This one runs all out even at their "slow" setting. It's almost embarrassing to ride it back to the pond, sounding like I'm doing 90 miles per hour. Thanks again.

jimwest

Forum Newbie
Threads
SandburRanch

Not sure what you meant by "Mine get that detail attended to and the premature failure goes away. " Are you saying you changed out the bearings to a different style/brand ?

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
SandburRanch

Not sure what you meant by "Mine get that detail attended to and the premature failure goes away. " Are you saying you changed out the bearings to a different style/brand ?
I don't change to a different brand necessarily but I do modify the top bearing so it is a push fit in the housing rather than a press fit. That simple change, that takes about 5 minutes, deletes any chance of side thrust which will destroy most ball bearings of this quality in short order, depending on the severity of the side thrust.

Someday, in my busy retirement schedule, :laughing: maybe I can post some pictures of how this all comes together and falls apart:biggrin:

jimwest

Forum Newbie
Threads
I will eagerly await those photos and description. I don't have much of an idea what you are talking about. Something done at home with ordinary tools, or shop ? Bought it at Lowe's only because they give a Veteran's discount. Also noted it is EXACTLY the same machine by Cub Cadet at Tractor Supply, even down to the cup holder, but $200 more.

If you can send a description to my email address at anytime, that would be fine. IndianaMiliaryOrg@yahoo.com
Also find me at Home Page - Indiana Military Org

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for the reply.

And one final complaint. My old Wheelhorse/Toro could be throttled down to where I could just use it to ride around the acreage. This one runs all out even at their "slow" setting. It's almost embarrassing to ride it back to the pond, sounding like I'm doing 90 miles per hour. Thanks again.
Nearly 40 years ago and even more we saw push mowers without throttle control come on the market and I hope that hasn't happened to lawn tractors. I'm not familiar with the last changes made to advise on that problem but I can believe it is real annoying.

If you get your grinding noise problem solved under warranty maybe you can check with the tech at that time about the no low RPM idle problem.

jimwest

Forum Newbie
Threads
There is a throttle control. Goes from Very Fast to Super Fast. Mows grass quite well at its lowest speed. No separate choke control. Push throttle control to fastest setting, and hold on.

Just a side note. When Lowe's sold it and there was no way for me to test it, I was told they'd put some gas in it, and make sure everything worked. 1st lie. Delivered on a lift gate truck far too small for the mower. As they lowered it, both had to hold one side up so it would not fall off. When I said I wanted to see it run before they left, I found it had not been gassed nor tested. I put in some gas, and it would not start for a long time, as all lines were bone dry. Then it would not move. After reading the manual, I found the "free to push" levers were engaged. The delivery guys tried, but I don't think they had ever seen a mower before. I only hope the warranty people are not Lowe's. Thanks for the help.