Gravely won't start without jump

scottyw

Forum Newbie
Threads
Gravely XDZ 260Z, 375 hours. It just happened suddenly yesterday. I started my mower; it started just fine like it has every time for the last 4 years. I drove it about 30 yards and then shut it off to get something out of my garage. I got back on my mower less than a minute later and it would not start. It was as if the battery were completely dead. All I could hear was one of the three rectangular devices connected by cables on the inner side of the left gas tank making noise as if it were trying to do something. It was the one in the middle if that matters. I put my hand on it and could feel it vibrating while I was turning the key. I've had to jump my mower with my car to get it started each time since then. Also, my blades won't engage every time I pull the PTO lever. It's hit or miss. It just happened yesterday all of a sudden. Needless to say, mowing my lawn was a pain in the arse! I gave my mower a good bath and made sure every wire connection I found was clean and connected. The button that gets pushed down when you engage the parking brake seems to be functioning fine. It goes in and out without problem when I push it manually. The two fuses that I found looked fine. The connection under the seat was connected and clean. Any ideas? Thanks in advance! One more thing; when my blades would engage, they would suddenly shut off after a few minutes so I'd have to push the PTO lever down and re-engage.

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Now a days it is not uncommon for batteries to fail very quickly. In the past two years I have seen just what you describe at least two dozen times. It has nothing to do with the way you keep your unit maintained or the charging system. I don't think that batteries are being held to the same quality standard as five years ago. I've seen it in quality batteries, (Diehard, Delco, Interstate, Etc.) and the Elcheapo. Just going to have to replace the battery, and I'll bet your problem will be solved.

scottyw

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Rivets! Hopefully it is the battery. I just didn't think it would be that simple especially since it was all of a sudden. I'll grab a new battery tomorrow or the next day and let you know how it goes. One more thing; when my blades would engage, they would suddenly shut off after a few minutes so I'd have to push the PTO lever down and re-engage. Does that sound like the battery as well? Maybe just not getting enough juice to run the blades?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Electricity does weird things and causes weird problems. Bad battery could very well cause your blade problem, I wouldn't rule it out.

scottyw

Forum Newbie
Threads
A new battery tool care of it! Replaced the battery and have mowed the lawn twice since with absolutely no issues. Thanks again!

WISCOPROUD

Threads
FYI= DO NOT jump start your lawnmower w/ your car. Good chance of frying the charging system. Yikes:eek: