Gravely HD52 smokes at cold startup... Normal?

bassadict69

Threads
Mower has 23hp Kawasaki, just over year old. When engine is cold at startup, get large puff of smoke. It does not do it when engine is warm.

Is this normal? Dealer is saying it is!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A short puff of black smoke from a rich mix a start up is nothing to worry about.
However white smoke menas there is oil in the cylinder.
On a new mower usually it is from overheating so the oil when you shut down is too thin.
Or a head gasket about to let go.

Pull the covers off and give the engine a clean.
This should be done every season. prefferably at the start rather than the end to evict any wildlife that may have set up home over the winter.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have heard read and experienced that Kawasaki engines tend to smoke some at startup. I have three mowers with a Kawi engine and they all smoke sometimes when I start them up.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
My Kohler command dose the same thing. its normal

bassadict69

Threads
I have never had a mower need oil between oil changes. I have the oil changed by the dealer every spring. I mow just over an acre a couple times per week, usually takes about 45 minutes.

Checked the oil level this weekend and it is at the add line. Should it be using oil like this?

I called the dealer and asked about the smoking and was told it was normal and gave me some story about the cylinders being slightly oblong shaped which allows oil to pass, which causes the large puff of smoke on cold startup. This sound right?

Just want to make sure I don't need some engine work while it is still under warranty!

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
warranty! or not its better to add a little oil then having your engine ripped all apart and put back together. It never go's back together like the original time it was made. Yes if it dose need work have it done for sure. This is the very reason I like doing my own work and would never have unnecessary work done just because its warranty. If you do to decide to bring it in for warranty just make sure you know that work they will be doing and what will be covered and not covered under the warranty. I worked for 25 years as a mechanic for dealers and know what go's on and they are doing this work to make money regardless who is paying you or the manufacture.