Gravely Compact Pro with Kawasaki fx 481 engine has popping sound

dnolder

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Gravely Compact Pro with Kawasaki fx 481 engine has popping sound
Hi, I bought this mower use with 703 hrs on it. When using mower it keeps popping. I have tried adjusting valves and took carburetor off and cleaned all ports with carb cleaner. The one adjustment on top of carb (air adjustment doesn't make any difference). I just ordered the 102 size main jet for carb but have not received yet to see if that will help. I worked for years on small engines when I worked at Sears as a technician but this has me baffled. One more thing it seems to get worse as the engine gets warmer as you mow the lawn. I would gladly take to a Gravely dealer but the closest one to me is 50 miles away and I'm leary to drop it off and if they do not have a good mechanic I will be constantly hauling it back and forth several times. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
dnolder, When pops? under load or backed off? idle? Is your jet order to lean out or? Possible fly/key slip timing?

dnolder

Forum Newbie
Threads
dnolder, When pops? under load or backed off? idle? Is your jet order to lean out or? Possible fly/key slip timing?

Motorman, It pops both ways but seems to pop more under load. I also was thinking about flywheel key but it starts great. I know when I used to work on pushmowers when they would hit something with blade it would need a flywheel key. But it normally would not start or if just barely bent would run lousy and that does not seem to be the case here. Thanks for your reply.

dnolder

Forum Newbie
Threads
Motoman, I ordered a 102 jet I think it has a 100 jet and it lists a 98 jet for over 6500 ft. I'm probably backwards but I'm hoping the 102 jet will make it richer?

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Motoman, I ordered a 102 jet I think it has a 100 jet and it lists a 98 jet for over 6500 ft. I'm probably backwards but I'm hoping the 102 jet will make it richer?

Sounds like the right direction to me. I wish I knew more about the intended factory static settings on these engines. Then maybe you could check the static with a simple lite or listen to a pop on a little transistor radio and know . My intek TDC on #1 (marked by me) is right where the magnet just starts to sweep accross the coil. To me that means the spark occurs a little after TDC as the coil has to turn on a transistor, trigger the coil and then increase the V into to coil, then fire. This all happens in milli seconds. Also I don't know if any advance is built in. I doubt it ,but recently looked at a tractor pull site that hot rodded these ac engines and did put ignition advance in. The fact you are missing under load makes me think timing , lean out, advance?, or check for broken or burnt valve. Maybe my blather will cause other knowledgeable forum members to respond. (there are many):thumbsup:

dnolder

Forum Newbie
Threads
Motoman, I plan on checking if my valve adjustment moved if not I'll wait and try new jet and if that doesn't workI may remove heads and check valves and head for valve guide sloppiness. I don't know what else to look for. I was really hoping some one here had same problem and tell me what fixed it. Thanks for your help.