Grasshopper Hydro Pump Problem

ghop1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello! I have a 2002 220 midmount ghopper. I took one of the hydro pumps off to fix a leaking gasket, it went well until I mounted it and tried to move the tractor. It's not pumping for some reason.

acts like the dump valve is open, but its not. Could have an air lock or something? does it need to be bled out like brakes?

HELP:eek:

CajunCub

Threads
Did you hand prime the pump while it was on the bench? I use to prime it by hand just like a master cylinder....it is more than likely air cavitation in the oil. You will have to let it sit over night with the fill cap off. Then turn it slowly by hand first very slowly about 50 revolutions in both directions. Refill to level and replace the cap, then start it up. Let it idle slow for about 3 minutes before you try any hydrolics. Good Luck.

ghop1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I sure hope your right Cajun. The pump costs about $700. :mad:

I didnt prime the pump. Just drained it, took it apart, put it back together, and back on the tractor.

CajunCub

Threads
I worked for a company that was a Grasshopper dealer, I worked on alot of those pumps. They are not bad to reseal, but they will not pump if you don't install them FULL of fluid.

ghop1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks! Is there a "bleed screw" I can remove to help?

I wonder if removing the dump valve would do it?

CajunCub

Threads
Removing the dump valve will do it.... but no bleed valve.

ghop1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I will do that today and let you know how it works out.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

ghop1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Houston, we have a problem...............

I pulled the dump valve screw and let fluid run out. Still acts like the dump valve is open and the wheel doesnt spin when the levers are moved.

What could it be! I mean, taking apart the pump and putting it back together was easy.

I guess i could have gotten dirt or something in it.................

CajunCub

Threads
Ok, Sorry for the time answering....Easter & all that stuff.
Well, are you sure that the pump is the problem? That sounds weird...BUT, could the manifold valve be the problem? The only way to tell is a Frickin' messy way without a hydro-gauge....Start with a full fluid level, and go down the main pressure line and crack it open while it's running......See what happens.

ghop1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Manifold? I can't seem to find it in the parts breakdown. Where is it located?

I did disconect the lines from the pump, gave the tire a spin and fluid pumped out.

Is the pump something I can take in and have rebuilt? It's GOT to cost less than a new one.

And no worries about the response time. It was a very busy, happy Easter for me too. I hope you had a good one too.