Grasshopper 321D, Keep or Sell?

Cirrus

Threads
Ok, I've been going around and around this idea for 3 years now. I bought a 2001 321D (Kubota diesel) that has been plagued with problems. It has random electrical issues that don't seem up happen all the time, just sporadically. I've replaced the PTO switch 3 times, had 2 spindles rebuilt last winter, replaced a lot of bearings and idler arms, the throttle body weeped fuel and had that repaired,brand new battery this summer, two new front tires this summer, hydro fluid changed and new filter,and I'm sure several other things that slipped my mind. I can't decide if I just need to cut my losses and sell this mower and buy a new one or keep making repairs. Mower has 1025 hours, which is low for a diesel, but it's 14 years old. My reasons to keep it are that it is paid for, it cuts beautifully, it's a diesel mower, and I get free diesel fuel (my family farms and they give me all the diesel I want for free), and I wouldn't be able to buy a new diesel mower, it would have to be gas, then I'd have to pay for my fuel. Reason to buy a new one is no constant mechanical or electrical issue to worry about, more reliable, and new. I would have a total budget of $10k for a new mower and I mow about 4 acres. This summer I've been mowing every 4 days. I would appreciate any thoughts and advice.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'd keep it, unless I found out that the things you've repaired are chronic problems that are a result of poor design or materials. If they are, the internet should be lit up with people having the same problem.