Grass issue with JD Z 520 A

alabama pat

Threads
I have a John Deere Z 520 A Zero turn belly mower.I have a problem with grass being discharged and laying on top of the cut grass.I keep the grass fairly short,but I have to sweep the lawn each time I mow it.

The dealer has been no help,other than sell me three sets of blades,each were going to resolve the issue.Their recent suggestion was a $2400.00 bagger attachment that they assured me would pick the grass clean,to include the debris and dead grass from the past year.

The grass that comes out of the discharge is the full lenth,and does not appear to be chopped up in the least.The blades I have on now are a mulching set,and there is no differance from the other two sets.I keep the blades very sharp,so I cannot understand why the problem persists.
Any suggestions.

Patrick

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have been running Gator Blades made by Oregon. They do a great job on my 72" deck.
Your deck design will have a lot to do with how well grass will shred Or just blow out unchopped...
You could have a 54" or 60" deck?
You didn't say, so you will have to looks them up here: OREGON® Replacement Lawnmower Blade Search

Oregon Gator Mulching blades work Very well... and another blade change is going to be a Lot cheaper than any other choice...
:smile:KennyV

alabama pat

Threads
Yes,it is a 54 inch deck.
I will give the Oregon mulching blades a shot.Thanks for the information,and yes, the blades will be cheaper then any of the other solutions offered by the dealer.
Thanks

Patrick

jimrs

Threads
Without a mulching plug the grass is discharged after it's cut once. With a mulching plug the grass is chopped up a lot finer and dropped along your path. If your keeping your grass cut and not taking too much off at a time the mulching plug could be a solution to your problem.

alabama pat

Threads
Without a mulching plug the grass is discharged after it's cut once. With a mulching plug the grass is chopped up a lot finer and dropped along your path. If your keeping your grass cut and not taking too much off at a time the mulching plug could be a solution to your problem.

Would that be a dealer item,or is that a aftermarket product.If it is a dealer item,that might give you some idea of the dealer assistance I have been getting all along from my local dealer.

They do have that $2500.00 bagger in stock though,and they can work me in when I decide I want it.

My local Kobota dealer is looking better all the time.

Patrick

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Would that be a dealer item,or is that a aftermarket product.If it is a dealer item,that might give you some idea of the dealer assistance I have been getting all along from my local dealer.

They do have that $2500.00 bagger in stock though,and they can work me in when I decide I want it.

My local Kobota dealer is looking better all the time.

Patrick

I have a ZG 222 Kubota. I have a mulching kit that Iput under it last winter to grind leaves. If the grass is of much height you have to run slow but it will cut it up very fine. It takes probably 30 minutes to install it and take it off. To do so you have to pull e deck out from under the mower and take part of the air baffles out and then reinstall an different set. I would not trade my Kubota Mowers for any kind I see on the market.