Grackles

mystreba

Threads
Closely related to the crow, the grackle is simultaneously one of the most fascinating and annoying of all birds.

They are fascinating in the way that they care for their young. For one thing, the nestlings defecate in little sacs, which the adult removes from the nest to discourage predators. I believe it's the only species of bird that does this. It is also fascinating to see how they raise the young once they leave the nest - six or more adult birds will participate in helping them learn to fly and keeing them rounded up and out of trouble.

They are annoying in the racket they make, especially once the nestling leaves the nest. And when the adults fly around looking for a convenient and safe place to deposit the nest sacs, they prefer water since the sac will be undetectable by predators once dropped into water. If you happen to have a backyard pool, guess what? And with their voracious appetites they will empty a feeder in a day.

So I generally fuss at them to prevent them nesting in my yard. Sometimes, I shoot at them - that tends to discourage them :thumbsup: But it is actually illegal to kill them since they are migratory birds. Of course, I've never done that. :rolleyes:

If anyone else has difficulty keeping these pests from raiding their birdfeeders, let me know. After much trial and error, I've developed the only 100% grackle-proof feeder that I know of.