Governor Spring Position Question

kc27

Threads
Where does the governor spring attach on a Toro Super Recycler mower, model no. 20042, powered by a Briggs & Stratton 12H802-1767-E1 engine? This engine had been jury-rigged with an incorrect carburetor. I installed the correct carburetor, but am not sure where the carburetor side of the governor spring should go.

briggs-stratton-12H802-1767-E1-governor-spring.jpg

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Locate your Toro serial number & see website above for manuals & parts.
Engine Operators Manual above.

Last edited:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
That is correct, if you need to speed up or slow the engine, bend the tab that the coiled end of the spring is hooked to.
Looks like it was meant to be used with speed control cable

kc27

Threads
Locate your Toro serial number & see website above for manuals & parts.
I started with the parts manual from the Toro site. The drawing shows the part, but now where it attaches (see below). Thanks for the links. The Briggs & Stratton parts manual has a similar illustration. The operator's manual has useful info, but doesn't address the governor linkage.

That is correct, if you need to speed up or slow the engine, bend the tab that the coiled end of the spring is hooked to.
Looks like it was meant to be used with speed control cable
OK, so if the spring is in the right place, I will have to find a resource that lists the RPM at which the engine should be set. This mower is a Personal Pace with a single speed transmission, where the speed of the mower is controlled by how much force the operator applies to the sliding (pace control) handle. I don't think a speed control cable is used in those models - I believe the throttle is fixed to a specific RPM.

The governor is hunting, so I get a slight surge every few seconds. That's why I was trying to verify if the spring was positioned correctly - I thought the governor surge could be due to a low RPM setting.

briggs-12h802-1767-e1-parts.jpg

Last edited:

kc27

Threads
Found the RPM specifications for my mower: Engine Speed 3000 ± 150 RPM.

For anyone else with a Toro product, look up the parts and manuals page for your model number on the Toro website. Scroll down on that page to a link for "Specifications". The RPM info is there. I did not find it within any of the manuals.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Found the RPM specifications for my mower: Engine Speed 3000 ± 150 RPM.

For anyone else with a Toro product, look up the parts and manuals page for your model number on the Toro website. Scroll down on that page to a link for "Specifications". The RPM info is there. I did not find it within any of the manuals.
Hunting and surging most likely due to dirty carburetor.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Where does the governor spring attach on a Toro Super Recycler mower, model no. 20042, powered by a Briggs & Stratton 12H802-1767-E1 engine? This engine had been jury-rigged with an incorrect carburetor. I installed the correct carburetor, but am not sure where the carburetor side of the governor spring should go.

View attachment 66731
Not sure by looking at the pic but if there is a loop in the govenor link that is where the spring connects.

kc27

Threads
Hunting and surging most likely due to dirty carburetor.
Could a low idle speed setting cause the governor to hunt? The replacement carburetor is new from Briggs & Stratton.

Not sure by looking at the pic but if there is a loop in the govenor link that is where the spring connects.
It is hard to tell from the photo, but the spring is in loop.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Could a low idle speed setting cause the governor to hunt? The replacement carburetor is new from Briggs & Stratton.
Yes. There is no idle circuit in that carb. So if its running too slow it will surge.