Governor Issues on Z246? Help!

twernicke

Threads
Hey all, it's been a while since I've been here but I could use some help. First, a little background. I had been having issues with low RPM sputtering on my Husqvarna Z246 Zero Turn with the Kawasaki FR651V engine. I decided to replace the plugs, ignition coils, air filter and carburetor. All went fine until startup. It started and went into an overspeed situation, sounded like 4K RPM+ and then I shut it down. I never touched the governor and the throttle/choke cables were not moved on the bracket in this process. Just unbolted and bolted back in the same spot. I also noticed that the throttle stops seem to have shifted which does not make sense to me??? This is my first time dealing with a potential governor issue so please be gentle. LOL

Attachments

• IMG_4091.jpg
    IMG_4091.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 5

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Anytime the carburetor is removed or replaced you should do the static governor adjustment. Also please take careful notice to underline text about the LH threaded screw (bolt) at the knee joint.
1697465212015.png

twernicke

Threads
Thank you! I will give this a try and report back here. BTW, where did you find this procedure?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
In the Kawasaki FR651V service manual.

twernicke

Threads
In the Kawasaki FR651V service manual.
Thanks, I ended up just buying the full Service Manual since the one that is provided with the mower is very limited. Another dumb question here, since my "low" idle speed is currently crazy high (probably over 4K!) I would assume that I should make some control panel adjustments before even trying to start again? Seems like they are a mile off right now.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Do a static governor adjustment and make sure you are not doing it backwards
We have all done it before

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
How do you know you are running about 4000 RPMs? Are you estimating by ear, or have a tachometer?

twernicke

Threads
Haha, thx. Threads on governor arm stripped so having to modify it for now until the parts arrive.