Got a new to me lawn boy, but it has issues. I need help.

Ajones

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Got a new to me lawn boy, but it has issues. I need help.
So, I just acquired a lawn boy, and the price was right. When I got it home, I tried to start it, but just got it to fire. New gas and seafoam, it really tried to run, but was struggling. I pulled off air filter cover and noticed it spitting gas onto the filter. I pulled off filter, and seems to run fine. Don't worry, I didn't go mow or anything, just let it run a minute. So, I know there is a problem, but not super knowledgeable on engines, but can follow instructions pretty well. I don't know the model, but it is a 2-cycle for sure, and I think it said gold series on the engine. I know you may need more info as far as particular engine, but any tips as where to start?

Phototone

Threads
So, I just acquired a lawn boy, and the price was right. When I got it home, I tried to start it, but just got it to fire. New gas and seafoam, it really tried to run, but was struggling. I pulled off air filter cover and noticed it spitting gas onto the filter. I pulled off filter, and seems to run fine. Don't worry, I didn't go mow or anything, just let it run a minute. So, I know there is a problem, but not super knowledgeable on engines, but can follow instructions pretty well. I don't know the model, but it is a 2-cycle for sure, and I think it said gold series on the engine. I know you may need more info as far as particular engine, but any tips as where to start?

Well, my first reaction to this is, the reeds may be rusty or leaky and not sealing the crankcase on the piston downstroke. Thus pushing air and gas out of the carb.

lewb

Threads
Great, once you get it running right you will have the best cut lawn on the block. I would post model number. With the model number we will know what you are working on.

Ajones

Forum Newbie
Threads
Okay, I have been busy and not able to get back on for awhile. Thanks to those of you that responded.
The model is a 10515. It has a 4.5 hp gold series engine. image.jpg

I also started taking carb apart to clean and found this. image.jpg

Is that a bad sign?

Lawnboy77

Threads
Yeah that's not good. You are going to need to split that case and dig that portion of the reed out of there...and whatever else got in there.

Ajones

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is that a difficult job? Where do I get parts? Should I just take it to a shop?

Lawnboy77

Threads
The F series is an easy engine to work on. Just use the Toro site for manuals.

Lawnboy77

Threads
Just google the part numbers you need and choose the best price. If you are lucky all you will need is reeds and two crank seals and anerobic sealant to seal the two crankcase halves.

Ajones

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just google the part numbers you need and choose the best price. If you are lucky all you will need is reeds and two crank seals and anerobic sealant to seal the two crankcase halves.

Is the crank seal the part that is above or below the bearings? I was trying to find parts and didn't see a part called the crank seal, but found one called an oils seal. That the same thing?

Lawnboy77

Threads
Yes crank seals and oil seals are synonymous. Part number 611396 is what you need. When you Google those part numbers just type "Lawnboy" in front of the part number. When you go back together with the two crankcase halves apply a thin coating of anaerobic sealant over the entire sealing surface and torque the 4 bolts, then drive the two oil seals in with a piece of PVC pipe of a close diameter to the seal. One other thing, I pretty sure the manual calls for loctite to be used on the screws that secure the reeds. The red loctite should be sufficient. The anerobic sealant and loctite can be purchased at any automotive parts store like AutoZone, PepBoys etc. etc. I hope all is well in there and no damage to bearings surfaces from the sliver of reed and whatnot that might be in there. I think while you have it apart inspect everything real good, you can pull the crank and piston out of the cylinder to clean. I don't think I would worry about removing the rod and piston from the crank to do this. You should be able to flush all the debris out with some naphtha, then coat everything with some clean oil. Just clean the case halves sealing surface with some non residue solvent like brake parts cleaner, or MEK prior to applying the sealant.