GOODBYE TO ELECTRIC

papajack

Threads
I have owned a Ryobi battery-operated Riding lawn mower since 2017. I paid $2400 new. In 2022, I replaced the batteries from 50 to 100 for $1200. I replaced the batteries myself. Two years later, my batteries are not holding a full charge again.
My next purchase will be a gas engine. The maintenance may be a pain, but it will last longer.

I own an EGO battery push mower, too. Replacing the battery costs $300, which I have done twice. It is like buying a new mower. My next push mower will be gas.
I can't wait to be forced to have an electric car.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
I have owned a Ryobi battery-operated Riding lawn mower since 2017. I paid $2400 new. In 2022, I replaced the batteries from 50 to 100 for $1200. I replaced the batteries myself. Two years later, my batteries are not holding a full charge again.
My next purchase will be a gas engine. The maintenance may be a pain, but it will last longer.

I own an EGO battery push mower, too. Replacing the battery costs $300, which I have done twice. It is like buying a new mower. My next push mower will be gas.
The maintenance on a gas mower really isn’t a pain. What is painful is replacement cost of batteries in equipment after say 3 years. What is painful is people throwing out 3 year old equipment because the batteries cost too much. I could go on, but that will work for now.

papajack

Threads
The maintenance on a gas mower really isn’t a pain. What is painful is replacement cost of batteries in equipment after say 3 years. What is painful is people throwing out 3 year old equipment because the batteries cost too much. I could go on, but that will work for now.
So true.

TonyPrin

Threads
The maintenance on a gas mower really isn’t a pain.
I agree and easy, too. But that doesn't make it so for everyone. This forum is filled with basic maintenance questions and others from those with problems caused by improperly doing so. Beyond that, many owners bring their mowers in for a "spring tune-up". Not everyone understands maintenance, is inclined to do so, or even looks at manuals.

For example, here's a post from last night on a mower that costs over $5,000:
"I purchased a ZTS2 mid summer last year and only have 27 hours on it. I changed the oil and have fresh gas in it. I cleaned the deck and blades. Anything else I need to do before using it for the first mow?"

Last edited:

papajack

Threads
So true. Some people check their fingers after working on something.

woodstover

Threads

What kind of warranty are on these batteries, just curious

TonyPrin

Threads
What kind of warranty are on these batteries, just curious
Warranty is generally 5-years for non-commercial use. The OP obviously fits within the warranty but not everyone keeps receipts and RYOBI service centers and not always convenient.

papajack

Threads
For anything with batteries, you have to decide if you are OK with the cost. Look up the cost before you buy. My Ryobi takes four batteries, old-fashioned lead batteries.
For example, now stories are coming out that car battery replacements cost from $20 to $50 thousand if they still make the battery pack. My car is a 2005 Honda Civic, and my truck is a 2015 Colorado. Both are still going strong, and any repairs are within my budget. Anyone would be stupid to buy a used electric car.