Good petrol pole hedge trimmer to buy?

efc1978

Threads
Hi,
Have been using around home for many years a heavy 2 stroke hedge trimmer, use it about 2-3 times a year and takes maybe 3-4 hours or so each time, all while climbing up and down a 6 foot ladder holding it above my head, tiresome work, and dangerous!
Looking for advice on what would be a good model / brand pole hedge trimmer to buy in Melbourne, Australia?
Looked at the Bunnings website and they seem to only sell electric pole hedge trimmers?, I think petrol will be much better!
Thanks

efc1978

Threads
Does anyone know much about "Bigger Boyz Toyz"?, this one says on sale for $249 down from $699 or something....
Like I said I'd really only be doing a few hours of work 3 times a year...
Would this be OK value for money?
I'm not easily finding these pole hedge trimmers made by the usual reputable brands that I know make good lownmowers etc.
http://www.bbta.com.au/products/Pole-Hedger.html
Thanks

efc1978

Threads
Oh Bunnings do have petrol, just not on website....
Ryobi.

efc1978

Threads
From what's available locally looks like I'll buy a Ryobi for about $400 or Masport, I know Masport make good stuff but I'm not sure now if the Masport had the pole as long as I need...
I think Ryobi should be good quality...

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
From what's available locally looks like I'll buy a Ryobi for about $400 or Masport, I know Masport make good stuff but I'm not sure now if the Masport had the pole as long as I need...
I think Ryobi should be good quality...

I would send a P.M. to ( bertsmobile1) a member on this site, he's from "down-under" and really is the GURU on things down there . Do your research and avoid "buyers remorse" .... good luck .... Boobala ....

efc1978

Threads
Oh I had for some reason presumed this was an Australian based message board!, but I guess not.... I think I presumed so as Bertsmobile had previously answered one of my questions before!!!

efc1978

Threads
Bertsmobile1, I had planned on buying Masport, or Ryobi, both around $400, but I don't think they had the ability to extend beyond 6-8 feet, and have since found Victa available at Bunnings which seems to have an additional extension if needed, I know Victa $450 is nothing hardcore, but like I said it's really only going to be used for 3 hours 2-3 times a year at home.
The 2 Victa pieces I think I'll buy from Bunnings are linked below, would you recommend anything better for around the same total price of $450?

Thank -You

Victa Tornado Plus Straight Shaft Trimmer TTS2226 seen here:
https://www.bunnings.com.au/victa-26cc-tornado-straight-shaft-trimmer_p3380075

And the Victa Tornado Hedge Trimmer Attachment ATH2220 seen here:
https://www.bunnings.com.au/victa-tornado-hedge-trimmer-attachment_p2970324

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you put those two together you will get about 5 ft of reach.

efc1978

Threads
Hi,

There's an additional extension bit you can buy for the Victa brand, unlike the Ryobi & Masport I've seen for the same price, which I'm pretty sure can't be extended.
(and I guess I'm wrong in saying Ryobi & Masport have 6-8 feet reach, I guess they'de be about the same as the 2 Victa bits I linked (without the additional Victa extension bit).

Here's the Victa extension bit, oh it actually only looks to be about 1.6 feet, I had presumed it was another 5 extra feet!!!!
https://www.bunnings.com.au/victa-tornado-trimmer-pole-extension-attachment_p2970326

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Victa do not make pole trimmers and neither do Masport. Both of them sell a rebadged trimmer from some one else.
Masport is now owned by MTD and it is most likely they are flogging the MTD one or a Chinese one.
Victa is owned by Briggs & Stratton and the same story for them but more likely a really bad Chinese one, they are slowly and quite possibly deliberately trashing the Victa brand in preperation for closing it down.

I would not buy ether one from Bunnings, in fact I would not buy anything from Bunnings if I could avoid it.
The Ryobi will be very comfortable to use and will either work perfectly or be a total nightmare and if the latter you just keep taking it back till you get a good one.
It is a throw away item. Most Ryobi products are not repairable.

I could only recommend either the Husqvarna or the Stihl as both of these companies own their local distributorship so stand by their products.
Service & spares will be available for them for a long time and if you go for the "convertiable" package the you end up with a whole lot more than just a pole saw.
Both Husky & Stihl dealers will do the saw on finance if it is a bit too good for you pocket at present & Stihl are offering 0 interest for now.

The Echo is the dest unit available down here but it is distributed through the absolute worst network ( Allpower) so service & parts are a big problem.
Word on the grapevine is Allpower are not going to be allowed to renew the contract and then it will be a shitfight trying to get parts or warranty which is why they just lost the Stiga contract to Gripskies.

Big Boys Toys are just that, Big ( wallet ) Boys importing toys from China that look like just like the real thing.
They have no service , no spares warehouse and thanks to the current governments "beneficial" new trade deals are only obliged to carry support for the warranty period.
Some of the stuff is apparently good and some of the stuff is temporay diverted land fill.
How lucky do you feel ?
I am not sure if "Big Boys Toys" selling power tools are the same "Big Boys Toys" that used to sell exotic cars, but the latter were always in trouble with the regulators and regularly went bankrupt to reopen the next day under a new holding company thus leaving previous purchasers in the lurch.

Before you buy anything from them check out the product & the company on "Not Good Enough", " Wirlpool " & "Product Review".
Ignore anything else on the web because big ( Wallet ) boys can pay shonks in India a few rupees to create glowing reviews of their products & the company on every free social media platform.

If you have the time you can check out Alibaba & made in China to see if the same looking product is available through them ( it will have a different brand name ).
If so then there is a 99.9999999999999999999999999999 % chance that is what you are being sold at a 500% mark up.