Repairs Ghost in the machine

billbud

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all new to the forum just looking for advice on my MTD yard machine 42 inch rider I have been battling all summer. To give a little background I acquired the mower with property I bought. It is 13 years old I have been through the engine with a fine tooth comb and it run great now. I had to replace the battery cables so I just ran a larger gauge for the pos and neg. The issue I am having now is that when the solenoid is in place it shorts I guess and will even spark if I tap it the way you would a chevy with a sticky solenoid and the mower will not even crank. So I unbolted the solenoid and remotely grounded it with a mesh ground strap and it started right up. But I grounded it in the same place it mounts. I am at a loss. It is a 3 pole solenoid and there are no other wires contacting when mounted. could I just have a bad solenoid. Anyone that has any ideas would be great.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I think you have already found the problem. the solenoid isn't grounding properly through the mounting bolts. May try adding a separate ground wire from the solenoid base, to a good ground on the frame.