Getting desperate!

Eric_The_Blue

Forum Newbie
Threads
Briggs and Straton 128m02-0120-f4 (190cc AWD Husqvarna from Lowes around 10 years ago)
I've changed the spark plug and coil - confirmed I have spark.
I've cleaned ever nook and cranny of the carb 4 times
Tried starter fluid - it backfired once but still not starting
Plenty of gas in tank and the bulb at least is filling up

Any suggestions on what to try / do next?

Help please! Thanks!

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Have you checked the flywheel key? it aligns the flywheel to the crankshaft in the proper position for correct ignition timing... if it gets sheared by Joe Public trimming tree roots, it will not start or it will back fire because the ignitin timing is off.
you'll need a 7/8 socket, i believe to remove the nut... impact wrench is handy too...

Eric_The_Blue

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have you checked the flywheel key? it aligns the flywheel to the crankshaft in the proper position for correct ignition timing... if it gets sheared by Joe Public trimming tree roots, it will not start or it will back fire because the ignitin timing is off.
you'll need a 7/8 socket, i believe to remove the nut... impact wrench is handy too...
Haven't done that before / tried it yet - Looking up a tutorial and I'll try it now - thanks :)

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've cleaned ever nook and cranny of the carb 4 times
Did you clean the inside carb parts?
Blow out both ways with compressed air and a real air compressor? Not canned air?
Remove fuel line at carb. Drain into a glass jar. Verify good fuel flow AT carb.

Richard Milhous

Threads
If it will backfire but not start, it's the flywheel key, six days a week.

Richard Milhous

Threads
Could be. In forty years of wrenching, I've seen one possible (unconfirmed) valve problem (other than valves bent by timing failure). But that's 99% car engines.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I stake 2 or 3 inlet seats a year.
If you search for staked seats &/or Guides we get about 2 or 3 a month
I do around 300 jobs a year
Overheated heads are the usual root cause which is why Slomo is always rabbiting on about removing the blower housing & cleaning the fins.
Depends where abouts you are
I is mid winter here but still hitting mid 20's ( C ) .
Summer will run into several weeks of 40 C +

Don't know about cars, only fix my own and a couple of dozen old bikes for friends.

Richard Milhous

Threads
I stake 2 or 3 inlet seats a year.
If you search for staked seats &/or Guides we get about 2 or 3 a month
I do around 300 jobs a year
Overheated heads are the usual root cause which is why Slomo is always rabbiting on about removing the blower housing & cleaning the fins.
Depends where abouts you are
I is mid winter here but still hitting mid 20's ( C ) .
Summer will run into several weeks of 40 C +

Don't know about cars, only fix my own and a couple of dozen old bikes for friends.
You are in the wrong time hemisphere and time zone, my friend. Ever been upside down under a dash at -30 (C) with the wind howling out of the north? Can't keep a hat on, too dicey to wear gloves. Soldering iron will still burn you so fast you can see fat boiling under your skin. But, in the interest of continued matrimony, I am presently obliged to retire.