Generac with Tecumseh motor, oil in breather

trickrk48198

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all , I have an older Generac generator with a tecumseh engine that is some how getting oil into the breather after running for an extended period. Runs well, doesn’t burn any oil, and has been good other than this issue. Any suggestions on what might going on?IMG_0193.jpegIMG_0192.jpeg

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check the oil level and smell it. If it is high or smells like fuel you probably have a float needle which is not sealing properly, allowing gas to thin out the oil. Being an older unit we will need the Tecumseh numbers.

trickrk48198

Forum Newbie
Threads
Check the oil level and smell it. If it is high or smells like fuel you probably have a float needle which is not sealing properly, allowing gas to thin out the oil. Being an older unit we will need the Tecumseh numbers.
IMG_0194.jpegThanks for the reply, here is a pic of the engine tag.

VegetiveSteam

Threads
Are you talking oil into the air filter area via the rubber breather tube?

trickrk48198

Forum Newbie
Threads
I did a little more research. Some people were stating that the breather drain holes could be clogged or that the reed valve could be weak and not springing back to the closed position completely. I was able to source a new breather locally, the tension of the reed valve on the new one did seem tighter. The drain holes in the breather seem extremely small, would there be a benefit to drilling the out a little large? I bet they are around 1/16th inch if that large
RIVETS I did check the oil and it appears to be fine, no fuels smell and level was good.

VegetiveSteam

Threads
I did a little more research. Some people were stating that the breather drain holes could be clogged or that the reed valve could be weak and not springing back to the closed position completely. I was able to source a new breather locally, the tension of the reed valve on the new one did seem tighter. The drain holes in the breather seem extremely small, would there be a benefit to drilling the out a little large? I bet they are around 1/16th inch if that large
RIVETS I did check the oil and it appears to be fine, no fuels smell and level was goo
The breather reed is where I was headed with my questions. I wouldn't enlarge the holes but make sure they are open. They are small for a reason.