Engine GCV530 Engine

GCV530

Forum Newbie
Threads
I put this engine on a John Deere lawn mower many years ago and things were working just fine.

I just put a new battery in it and when I turn the key the starter solenoid clicks but the starter doesn't turn.

I know there is power to the rest of the machine because the mower clutch and the carb cut off clicks.
Any Ideas on how I can fix this?

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
I put this engine on a John Deere lawn mower many years ago and things were working just fine.

I just put a new battery in it and when I turn the key the starter solenoid clicks but the starter doesn't turn.

I know there is power to the rest of the machine because the mower clutch and the carb cut off clicks.
Any Ideas on how I can fix this?

On a honda gcv 530 the solenoid is part of the starter motor and not a seperate unit.
Make sure connections are ok but could be solenoid or starter motor.

GCV530

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK, I got the starter rebuilt and a new solenoid put on by a professional starter/alternator rebuilder that has been in business a long time.

Next question:

Which direction is the engine supposed to turn? I never bothered to notice before.

The starter spins but does not engage the flywheel. When I take a small screwdriver and pull the gear up in to the flywheel and hit the key the engine will turn but if I release the key the gear drops and won't engage..

The rebuilt starter, when I manually raise the gear turns the motor clockwise. The fan veins on the flywheel appear to require a counter clockwise turn.

GCV530

Forum Newbie
Threads
I futzed a little with the engine after my last post.

The gear on the starter won't mesh with the flywheel by itself most of the time (just like pre-rebuild).

And when the gear does mesh it doesn't go all the way up. When I use the screw driver to pull it all the way up into place I can turn the key and it starts the engine just fine. Apparently the gear has to be all the way up in order for the starter to spin.

GCV530

Forum Newbie
Threads
I ended up replacing the starter and now all is good.