Export thread

GCV530 Engine

G

GCV530

I put this engine on a John Deere lawn mower many years ago and things were working just fine.

I just put a new battery in it and when I turn the key the starter solenoid clicks but the starter doesn't turn.

I know there is power to the rest of the machine because the mower clutch and the carb cut off clicks.
Any Ideas on how I can fix this?

pugaltitude

pugaltitude

I put this engine on a John Deere lawn mower many years ago and things were working just fine.

I just put a new battery in it and when I turn the key the starter solenoid clicks but the starter doesn't turn.

I know there is power to the rest of the machine because the mower clutch and the carb cut off clicks.
Any Ideas on how I can fix this?

On a honda gcv 530 the solenoid is part of the starter motor and not a seperate unit.
Make sure connections are ok but could be solenoid or starter motor.

G

GCV530

OK, I got the starter rebuilt and a new solenoid put on by a professional starter/alternator rebuilder that has been in business a long time.

Next question:

Which direction is the engine supposed to turn? I never bothered to notice before.

The starter spins but does not engage the flywheel. When I take a small screwdriver and pull the gear up in to the flywheel and hit the key the engine will turn but if I release the key the gear drops and won't engage..

The rebuilt starter, when I manually raise the gear turns the motor clockwise. The fan veins on the flywheel appear to require a counter clockwise turn.

G

GCV530

I futzed a little with the engine after my last post.

The gear on the starter won't mesh with the flywheel by itself most of the time (just like pre-rebuild).

And when the gear does mesh it doesn't go all the way up. When I use the screw driver to pull it all the way up into place I can turn the key and it starts the engine just fine. Apparently the gear has to be all the way up in order for the starter to spin.

G

GCV530

I ended up replacing the starter and now all is good.