GCV135 leaking fuel

atopman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, hope you can advise, my mower is a Honda engine GCV135, it needed a good service, after putting the carb back together and installing it back, i noticed the fuel was welling up from the air duct on the air filter body and flowing down. When i shut the fuel valve off it stopped. I think it maybe the float valve needle, because when i installed it , it was not clear to me how it seats on the float/ tab. There is a slot/ shoulder around the bottom of the float valve pin, and i slotted this into the float tab/ cutout, but it seems very loose, until the float and valve are mounted with the pin into the bottom housing of the carb. then it seems to be ok. I am thinking did i lose a washer or spring, i am sure i didnt. I may have installed it wrong? I am going to have another go, tomorrow.

Another question is the mower would never run on slow minimum speed, only just past the choke, and it used to hunt, thats why i did the service.
I notice after inspecting the linkages, they all seem ok, but when the choke/throttle lever is operated the throttle valve does not appear to rotate, and its links dont move, only the choke links move and choke valve rotates. I did the governer adjustment , but it seemed to be correct already. Is the throttle valve supposed to rotate, and it links move ?

thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No the default position for the throttle valve is closed.
With the engine not running it should fully open when you open the throttle control.
When the engine is running the govenor pulls the throttle valve closed a varying amount according to the engine speed.

atopman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Great news, I fixed the leaking fuel by bending the plastic tag with some gentle heat applied with soldering iron, the float needle now must be more firmly seated when the carb fills up.:)
Also the mower is running like a dream and runs at low speed, its never ran like this good before, the guy that sold it me was s fraud as it only ever ran on full speed before, but I wasn't familiar with it. I had cleaned the carb a couple of times without luck, but I tired it down to low speed issue, and after looking at carb diagrams I noticed it must be the low speed jet. This jet is very small and on very close examination I found it blocked, I cleared it with a stand of copper wire from a cable, I knew it was clear as I done a phone light at the hole and saw the light in the site supply tube, so the lesson I learned is there is no shot cut to cleaning carbs. Of you Google Honda carb cleaning there is a great video by Honda. Hope this helps someone on the future, it took me 3 days !