Gas?

buzzzmeister

Threads
2 diesels and two gas mower that live on a diet of 100LL and one has quite happily for over 1700 hours. The second gas mower has a recent engine change so I'll know in a few years if the Kohler engine is as happy on 100LL as the Kawasaki engine.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you run any weed-eaters or chain saws this is for sure important. (any 2 or 4 cycle)
I would buy some extra gas cans and drive the 20 miles to get the 100% gas.
I already drive 12 miles but this is just across town.

After stopping using the 10% Ethanol gas, I have almost zero carb problems unless something sits unused for a few months.
On these forums I read where carb problems are common.

Ethanol will degrade the rubber parts making them sticky and gummy; even deteriorate fuel lines. Clog injector holes etc.

You can use the additive but I never liked the idea of adding something to correct the additive.
Locally the 100% gas comes in only one octane grade.

Yeah, I've posted in several threads that were debating ethanol versus non-ethanol and there are many who say there is no difference in regard to equipment "damage". But I, like you, will err on the side of caution based on my experiences and no ethanol gas will ever run in ANY of my lawn equipment or boat as long as I can locate/purchase non-ethanol. And I run the mid-grade(89 octane) non-ethanol. User Ric mentioned higher than 10% ethanol is "not recommended". Actually my Gravely and Kawasaki engine manuals take that a step further and specifically state that "greater than 10% ethanol will void the warranty". When a manufacturer states something that "blatant" about ethanol concentration.......could ANY ethanol content be bad.....DUHHHHHHHHHH:0)

txzrider

Threads
When I finally figured out the reg unleaded was causing all my issues with fuel lines desolving or at the very least aging prematurely... I switched to premium for all my gas engines.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't how much difference or how much better premium gas is compare to regular for lawnmowers but the news show Marketplace found there was no mileage difference with the more expensive gas and it caused more pollution.:confused2:

Premium gas in regular-fuel cars not cleaner, expert says - Canada - CBC News

In regard to automotive applications....for many, many years I always used "Amoco Super Premium" because prior to the prevalence of ethanol gasoline it was high octane(93+) and had no alcohol additives(it was refined until it was almost colorless/clear). And Amoco used to have a "fuel system guarantee" that if you used that gasoline and EVER had a fuel-system related problem that they would reimburse you for the repair expense. Soon after the British(BP) bought out Amoco(even though all of their pumps "purported" that you were still buying "Amoco gasoline", I noticed the premium gas became orangeish/yellowish color just like all the other brands of gasoline. So I pretty well knew they were blatantly lying. Then came the EPA mandated introduction of 10% ethanol.....what a travesty since it yields 5%-10% less mileage per gallon, ruins pre-2000 vehicle gas lines and fuel pumps and costs the consumer more than "pre-ethanol" gasoline. I still run premium grade gasoline in my 1993 Chevy Silverado with the 350 cubic inch V8 and all I can say is after 235,000 miles I have yet to have a fuel-system related problem(I do, however, add Lucas Ethanol treatment to it because I run the ethanol Premium gasoline). Now my ZTR, gas trimmer, tiller, outboard 2-cycle on my boat......those engines will never see ethanol gasoline as long as I can find(and afford) the mid-grade non-ethanol gasoline locally. That's my story and I'm sticking to it:0)

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
When I finally figured out the reg unleaded was causing all my issues with fuel lines desolving or at the very least aging prematurely... I switched to premium for all my gas engines.

Rather than running premium, I would recommend the mid-grade non-ethanol gasoline. Below is a link where you can locate gas stations anywhere in the U.S. and Canada that still sell non-ethanol gas. It'll cost you about the same(maybe a little more) than the ethanol premium but in my opinion will cure your fuel line problems(it's more the ethanol than the grade that's deteriorating them).

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

bakerg

Lawn Addict
Threads
I cannot even run ethanol gas in my car, turn the engine light on.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you run any weed-eaters or chain saws this is for sure important. (any 2 or 4 cycle)
I would buy some extra gas cans and drive the 20 miles to get the 100% gas.
I already drive 12 miles but this is just across town.

After stopping using the 10% Ethanol gas, I have almost zero carb problems unless something sits unused for a few months.
On these forums I read where carb problems are common.

Ethanol will degrade the rubber parts making them sticky and gummy; even deteriorate fuel lines. Clog injector holes etc.

You can use the additive but I never liked the idea of adding something to correct the additive.
Locally the 100% gas comes in only one octane grade.

I run the Sunoco 93 octane / 10% ethanol in all my Stihl 2 stroke and 4 mix equipment and mowers since I've been in business, for the last six or seven years now and never had an issue with ethanol.