Gas Caps do seal out any condensation from entering the gas tank, despite the arguments here saying they do not

Moparjoe499

Threads
  • / Gas Caps do seal out any condensation from entering the gas tank, despite the arguments here saying they do not
You are correct Shady. In a partially filled tank, the air does not 'come in' overnight. What air is in the tank remains until more contents is used. Ethanol absorbs water in the fuel and condensate and remains at the bottom of the tank with it. Don't totally empty a partially filled container into your small engine. Always use a funnel with filter to take out the lumps.

From you other long post here, it sounds like you have a lot of knowledge about how gasoline (more, it's the ethanol) attracts water. I don't agree w/you that covering a vented gas cap completely with plastic wrap & then rubber bands won't keep moisture out. It HAS to.

I, unfortunately, thought I bought enough gas to completely fill the tractor tank; but, it didn't & I am a gallon short. I was just tired & cold, & decided to simply leave it this way. According to some of the posts, a tractor gas tank holds such a finite amount of gas, it doesn't make a great deal of difference. Prior, I added Seafoam to the gas, ran it a few minutes, so don't you believe it will prevent rubber & carb damage over the winter?
Its freakin gasoline. It has 10% alcohol in it. Any condensation will be burned in the cylinder. Anyone who cuts grass often enough will buy gasoline often enough that the can won't get any water in it. Stop leaving your damn freaking gas can outside. I have ran across this problem before and people wonder why their mower won't run. Stupid people never learn.

Moparjoe499

Threads
  • / Gas Caps do seal out any condensation from entering the gas tank, despite the arguments here saying they do not
From you other long post here, it sounds like you have a lot of knowledge about how gasoline (more, it's the ethanol) attracts water. I don't agree w/you that covering a vented gas cap completely with plastic wrap & then rubber bands won't keep moisture out. It HAS to.

I, unfortunately, thought I bought enough gas to completely fill the tractor tank; but, it didn't & I am a gallon short. I was just tired & cold, & decided to simply leave it this way. According to some of the posts, a tractor gas tank holds such a finite amount of gas, it doesn't make a great deal of difference. Prior, I added Seafoam to the gas, ran it a few minutes, so don't you believe it will prevent rubber & carb damage over the winter?
Seafoam is a money scam. Look up seafoam msds. You can buy the ingredients in a gallon at a hardware store.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Seafoam is a money scam. Look up seafoam msds. You can buy the ingredients in a gallon at a hardware store.
Seafoam prior to around 2004 was some good stuff. But around that time they reformulated it due to EPA constraints and the new stuff is garbage.

Moparjoe499

Threads
Seafoam prior to around 2004 was some good stuff. But around that time they reformulated it due to EPA constraints and the new stuff is garbage.
PETROLEUM DISTILLATES IS THE MAIN INGREDIENT. YOU CAN BUY IT AT ANY HARDWARE STORE.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Name calling in PM's are uncalled for.

GrumpyCat

Threads
I can't read 6 pages of this thread.

Small engine gas caps breathe. Necessary to let air in when gasoline is used by the engine. When temperature changes some air in the tank leaves when it warms, fresh air enters when it cools. Ethanol in the gasoline extracts moisture from the air in the tank.

Moisture in ethanol-laced gasoline does not settle to the bottom until the saturation point is reached. Ethanol will hold a certain amount of water in solution, then the white cloudy stuff starts appearing and one has significant problems. This is called phase separation. Many treatments "fix" this by providing more of what ethanol does, increasing the capacity to carry water in solution. Isn't really a fix although it might get the water out of your gas tank if your engine can run on the resulting swill.

Water in ethanol gasoline is still water in one's gasoline. Engine running may not be affected much but the water combined with ethanol is corrosive.

Automotive fuel systems with vapor recovery systems do a very good job of keeping moisture out of gasoline.

Moparjoe499

Threads
I can't read 6 pages of this thread.

Small engine gas caps breathe. Necessary to let air in when gasoline is used by the engine. When temperature changes some air in the tank leaves when it warms, fresh air enters when it cools. Ethanol in the gasoline extracts moisture from the air in the tank.

Moisture in ethanol-laced gasoline does not settle to the bottom until the saturation point is reached. Ethanol will hold a certain amount of water in solution, then the white cloudy stuff starts appearing and one has significant problems. This is called phase separation. Many treatments "fix" this by providing more of what ethanol does, increasing the capacity to carry water in solution. Isn't really a fix although it might get the water out of your gas tank if your engine can run on the resulting swill.

Water in ethanol gasoline is still water in one's gasoline. Engine running may not be affected much but the water combined with ethanol is corrosive.

Automotive fuel systems with vapor recovery systems do a very good job of keeping moisture out of gasoline.
So in all reality, since the gas cap has a vent hole to allow the gas to be drawn out of the tank , then it won't matter if the cap has a good seal or not. That's a good point.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Politics are not part of this forum as well as your yelling in all caps. I thought you might be an intelligent guy until you last few posts. Now I’m questioning my aged brain. Think this thread has run its course.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Joe, you're out of line. You get one more chance.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Well, you had a chance until you messaged me
Bye.