G100 Charging Circut

jewcanoe

Forum Newbie
Threads
How do I check if the charging circut is sending a charge back to the battery.
The mower runs fine & starts when the battery is charged but the battery discharges with use.
the battery indicater light comes on when I put on the lights or engage the mower.
Stater has no output till I hook it to regulater & the I get 13.5 volts from regulater terminal to ground.
Can't find the charging wire back to battery unless it charges thru the fuseable link.
Any ideas??

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
How do I check if the charging circut is sending a charge back to the battery.
The mower runs fine & starts when the battery is charged but the battery discharges with use.
the battery indicater light comes on when I put on the lights or engage the mower.
Stater has no output till I hook it to regulater & the I get 13.5 volts from regulater terminal to ground.
Can't find the charging wire back to battery unless it charges thru the fuseable link.
Any ideas??

Make a note of volts at battery, run engine and test volts at regulator, it should be more then the battery volts (around 14.5 volts) when battery not full.
disconnect the wires at regulator test AC volts from stator (white wires normally) should be up around 20-28 volts AC. post up what you get.

jewcanoe

Forum Newbie
Threads
Make a note of volts at battery, run engine and test volts at regulator, it should be more then the battery volts (around 14.5 volts) when battery not full.
disconnect the wires at regulator test AC volts from stator (white wires normally) should be up around 20-28 volts AC. post up what you get.

A/C volts from stator disconnected from regulator reads 46 volts A/C.
purple wire from regulater to starter motor terminal with fusible link on same terminal also reads 46 volts when touched to 1 white wire & purple wire from regulater.
Battery when unit running only has 12.5 volts.
Where does it get it's charge back & when does it change to DC current which is what I thought was the battery voltage.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
A/C volts from stator disconnected from regulator reads 46 volts A/C.
purple wire from regulator to starter motor terminal with fusible link on same terminal also reads 46 volts when touched to 1 white wire & purple wire from regulater.
Battery when unit running only has 12.5 volts.
Where does it get it's charge back & when does it change to DC current which is what I thought was the battery voltage.

What is a Regulator/Rectifier

The regulator rectifier is a combined unit. It does the rectifying part as well the regulation part. It is part of a battery charging system. It usuallty gets an AC power feed from the stator coil of the generator (alternator). Most modern regulator rectifiers and Stators form a three phase system, so there are three wires coming from the stator feeding into the regulator rectifier. The regulator rectifier then rectifies the voltage; that is it turns the voltage from AC into an undulating DC. The voltage is then regulated; the voltage being limited to a maximum of about 14.5 volts and feeds this regulated DC out to the battery. There are some single phase, regulator rectifiers as well which perform a similar function but there are only two wires coming from the stator into the regulator rectifier which is then fed to the battery in the same way as the three phase system. Why are there two different systems? Three phase is more efficient and single phase are cheaper to produce.

Replace the regulator..!

jewcanoe

Forum Newbie
Threads
What is a Regulator/Rectifier

The regulator rectifier is a combined unit. It does the rectifying part as well the regulation part. It is part of a battery charging system. It usuallty gets an AC power feed from the stator coil of the generator (alternator). Most modern regulator rectifiers and Stators form a three phase system, so there are three wires coming from the stator feeding into the regulator rectifier. The regulator rectifier then rectifies the voltage; that is it turns the voltage from AC into an undulating DC. The voltage is then regulated; the voltage being limited to a maximum of about 14.5 volts and feeds this regulated DC out to the battery. There are some single phase, regulator rectifiers as well which perform a similar function but there are only two wires coming from the stator into the regulator rectifier which is then fed to the battery in the same way as the three phase system. Why are there two different systems? Three phase is more efficient and single phase are cheaper to produce.

Replace the regulator..!

Checked regulater output from purple wire( out to starter motor terminal which also connects wire to key switch), reads 12.7 volts running & 12.7 off. Take it that is just the battery backfeed when off. Will order new regulater & let you know how I make out.
Thanks

jewcanoe

Forum Newbie
Threads
Checked regulater output from purple wire( out to starter motor terminal which also connects wire to key switch), reads 12.7 volts running & 12.7 off. Take it that is just the battery backfeed when off. Will order new regulater & let you know how I make out.
Thanks

Put on new regulater, still no charge to battery from regulater.
All wires going t the starter terminal are good.
Any other suggestions??

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Am having a hard time believe this one, you have over 40AC output from stator, you fitted a new reg and the volts are the same has the battery...! did you check by putting meter at the battery (engine not running) make a note of volts, and again with engine running at over 3000 RPM.

If the battery is good.
You say there is over 40 volts coming from stator (a little high).
And you have fitted new Reg.

look at the wiring diagram and check all the connections, there are not that many.

Attachments

• John Deere G100.pdf
    371.8 KB · Views: 23

jewcanoe

Forum Newbie
Threads
Am having a hard time believe this one, you have over 40AC output from stator, you fitted a new reg and the volts are the same has the battery...! did you check by putting meter at the battery (engine not running) make a note of volts, and again with engine running at over 3000 RPM.

If the battery is good.
You say there is over 40 volts coming from stator (a little high).
And you have fitted new Reg.

look at the wiring diagram and check all the connections, there are not that many.

I retested the 2 white wires, when I test them by hooking meter to both white wires I get 46 A/C volts, when I test them by putting the leads from the meter to 1 white wire & ground on the engine I get no A/C voltage.
Which is the correct test to use?

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
AC Output Test
1. Insert RED test lead into V Ohm receptacle in meter.
2. Insert BLACK test lead into COM receptacle.
3. Rotate selector to V~ (AC VOLTS) position.
4. Attach RED test lead clip (1) to AC output
terminal.
5. Attach BLACK test lead clip (2) to engine
ground.
6. With engine running at 3600 RPM output should
be no less than 14 volts AC.
7. If NO or LOW output is found, replace stator.

jewcanoe

Forum Newbie
Threads
I retested the 2 white wires, when I test them by hooking meter to both white wires I get 46 A/C volts, when I test them by putting the leads from the meter to 1 white wire & ground on the engine I get no A/C voltage.
Which is the correct test to use?

Thanks, I was testing both wires not 1 wire & ground, probably bad stator,
Isn't there supposed to be a gap between stator & coil that creates the voltage???