Repairs FWD TORO 20065 Down Again

vabear

Threads
I have a TORO FWD walk behind, three years old and it is in the shop again. First time, after 18 months the transmission went, so under warranty replaced. Then sixmonths later carburetor failed, in shop again ($80.00), now, after one year later the front driove wheels spin, but will not pull (I put her up on back wheels, engage drive and wheels spin, although they do stop momentarily and then re-spin). but will not pull on the ground (1/2 acre lot, flat and tall Fescue). Pulled cover off of belt drive and the top pulley is wobbling, very loose, so I need to replace that, but what say you on the drive mechanism? I am not a TORO dfan at present.

earthworm

Threads
About the same age as my Lawn Boy....at this time , the two were related...and I love my LB....no trouble but once due to a lousy owners manual.
I'd, in your position learn DIY, or live with high expenses.
I cannot believe that the LB is better, but I think the Toro, like many other lite-duty mowers is maintenance intensive... a half acre is a lot of mowing.....

vabear

Threads
To me at age 75, 1/2 acre of flat land is not a lot. I agree that the TORO name should carry with it better quality, and yes I now do my own maintenance, but av transmission per year is not what I need.

earthworm

Threads
To me at age 75, 1/2 acre of flat land is not a lot. I agree that the TORO name should carry with it better quality, and yes I now do my own maintenance, but av transmission per year is not what I need.
Four years on me,....lol... and I hope your 1/2 acre is better than mine ( a swamp due to all this rain and rough as hell)...one cannot mow a field and call it a lawn !
Toro, Kitchen Aid, maybe all of them have sold their good name to the devil in the interest of profits...There used to be a low price, a medium price ,and high price fields.... Now everything is ,IMO, low priced ??? and quality takes a back seat to profits....
The manufacturers cannot be trusted.
What to do ????

vabear

Threads
Yup, brand name is just a joke. Bought a pressure washer three years ago, B&S engine and engine seized after second use (six months after purchase), back to service facility since she was under warranty, and they told me I used the wrong oil, too thick. I said, used the oil packed with the washer, all came in same box, they said not B&S oil (did not know B&S made oil) and I said if B&S allowed that oil to be packed in the box with their machine then they in effect sanctioned it. Bottom line engine was replaced at no cost (in dollars) to me. Why does it have to be so hard to get theing s repaired under warranty?

earthworm

Threads
Yup, brand name is just a joke. Bought a pressure washer three years ago, B&S engine and engine seized after second use (six months after purchase), back to service facility since she was under warranty, and they told me I used the wrong oil, too thick. I said, used the oil packed with the washer, all came in same box, they said not B&S oil (did not know B&S made oil) and I said if B&S allowed that oil to be packed in the box with their machine then they in effect sanctioned it. Bottom line engine was replaced at no cost (in dollars) to me. Why does it have to be so hard to get theing s repaired under warranty?
Which is one reason why I detest warranties.. And I hate extended warranties even more...Sears pushes these...
Good products, I think, but lousy selling methods....
The dealer makes $120 normally (per hour) but "only" $60 on warranty work..
This causes problems...greed is involved.... and fear and ignorance...

vabear

Threads
I had emailed TORO and told them of my dissatisfaction with my mower. They responded by saying they were sorry I was unhappy and that I took the time to notify them and they would keep my comments on file (probably in a cold drawer).

vabear

Threads
Well, the POS is back home and in the shed with a new transmission, bevel gears and the support bearings for the drive belt pulley. only had to take out a reverse mortgage to pay the $174.00 charges (independent shop) Last time she goes in as the original cost of $275.00 and then the cost of a new carburetor plus labor of $80.00 (the first replacement transmission was under warranty) would have bought me a really nice mower.

End of transmission, I need a cold Leine.

Duffer72

Threads
earthworm- what shop charges 120 and hour and what company pays 60 per hour, I will do thier warranty all day long for that $.