Export thread

Full Synthetic oil to use

C

Cow

Recently i post a Thread on Kubota T series mowers , as most do know Kubota now have Kohler engs. the one i bought 3 wks ago has the Kohler Courage 20 hp , when i get 50 hrs. on this eng. i will be changing oil etc. and i`m going to use Full Synthetic .
I would like to hear which brand Synthetic i should use, also most likely it will be 10W-30 unless someone can tell me info. why i should not .
I have read the Manuel & it calls for SG, SH, SJ or Higher , can someone explain in detail how this would apply to Full Synthetic .
Thanks for your replies .
Kentucky

M

motoman

Search the forum. There are numerous long threads.

C

Cow

Search the forum. There are numerous long threads.
Thanks, i have been doing that & i`m finding some helpful answers .
Thanks again .

Ric

Ric

Recently i post a Thread on Kubota T series mowers , as most do know Kubota now have Kohler engs. the one i bought 3 wks ago has the Kohler Courage 20 hp , when i get 50 hrs. on this eng. i will be changing oil etc. and i`m going to use Full Synthetic .
I would like to hear which brand Synthetic i should use, also most likely it will be 10W-30 unless someone can tell me info. why i should not .
I have read the Manuel & it calls for SG, SH, SJ or Higher , can someone explain in detail how this would apply to Full Synthetic .
Kentucky

It's the API Service Category, it's what the manufacturer says is needed for your engine. Your engine calls for a Detergent oil of SG, SH, SJ or SL for oil type, not a synthetic. The API service Category for synthetic is CF if there even using it now. Check your manual it will tell you what type of oil to use, the engines capacity and viscosity to use, I recommend doing or following the manufacturers recommendations .

Which 20hp kohler does it have the single cylinder or twin?

reynoldston

reynoldston

15W40 Amsoil

K

KennyV

Cow, I'm sure you realize the Manufacturer is recommending the "Minimum" standardoil in your manual... and since you are switching to a synthetic, you are aware there are Better oils available...
Any full synthetic oil will be better than most any mineral base oil... There are a few that really don't understand that.

You can not really compair mineral oil "weights" to synthetic oil numbers... Synthetic oils achieve a multi viscosity in a different way...
As reynoldston said 15W40 Amsoil, is great... Amsoil started synthetics & have been doing it for a Long time...
I run Rotella T6 5W40 synthetic in every Diesel or Gasoline engine I have, Diesel rated oils have the highest non foaming detergent additive plus excellent high pressure components. I've ran diesel rated synthetics for decades in gasoline engines, before Rotella T6, it was Mobil1 turbo truck, before that it was Mobil1 Delvac...
You will never regret switching to a synthetic, and there will always be a few that just are not able to 'get it'...
Love those Kubota's ... :smile:KennyV

C

Cow

Cow, I'm sure you realize the Manufacturer is recommending the "Minimum" standardoil in your manual... and since you are switching to a synthetic, you are aware there are Better oils available...
Any full synthetic oil will be better than most any mineral base oil... There are a few that really don't understand that.

You can not really compair mineral oil "weights" to synthetic oil numbers... Synthetic oils achieve a multi viscosity in a different way...
As reynoldston said 15W40 Amsoil, is great... Amsoil started synthetics & have been doing it for a Long time...
I run Rotella T6 5W40 synthetic in every Diesel or Gasoline engine I have, Diesel rated oils have the highest non foaming detergent additive plus excellent high pressure components. I've ran diesel rated synthetics for decades in gasoline engines, before Rotella T6, it was Mobil1 turbo truck, before that it was Mobil1 Delvac...
You will never regret switching to a synthetic, and there will always be a few that just are not able to 'get it'...
Love those Kubota's ... :smile:KennyV

Thanks KennyV , i had hoped you would reply to this thread, i`ve read your response to other`s & i feel your reply`s are worthy on
this lawn forum , Now the Kohler eng on this 2013 Kubota is a Kohler Courage SV-710 v twin 20 hp . i have spoke with Kubota & Kohler Manf.
and they try their best to convince me what a Great eng . i have but, if it is so Great then Why do i read so many Neg . reply on Kohler Courage . without doubt i will use Full Synthetic eng. oil after i get the 50 hr. break in period over. I was already leaning toward Rotella T6 then i read it is basicly for Desiel eng.
If you have used it in gasoline engs. for decades , without problems then that is the oil i will put, in this courage eng. For me i would have felt much more secure if Kubota had stayed with the Kaw. engs .

Old Goat

Old Goat

Never bought into the fairy tale about using deisel oil in a gasoline engine and never will.

http://www.zddplus.com/TechBrief6 -...sic and High-Performance Gasoline Engines.pdf

I only use one word when I think "oil". Valvoline.
Been that way forever, still true. Regular or synthetic.

Much more info here.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm

C

Cow

Never bought into the fairy tale about using deisel oil in a gasoline engine and never will.

http://www.zddplus.com/TechBrief6 -...sic and High-Performance Gasoline Engines.pdf

I only use one word when I think "oil". Valvoline.
Been that way forever, still true. Regular or synthetic.

Much more info here.
Bob Is The Oil Guy - Forums powered by UBB.threads™

After reading this, you have got me searching deep into this matter , could be a whole new can of Worms for me .
Thanks for the info. Old Goat

C

Cow

It's the API Service Category, it's what the manufacturer says is needed for your engine. Your engine calls for a Detergent oil of SG, SH, SJ or SL for oil type, not a synthetic. The API service Category for synthetic is CF if there even using it now. Check your manual it will tell you what type of oil to use, the engines capacity and viscosity to use, I recommend doing or following the manufacturers recommendations .

It has the V twin SV-710 Kohler Courage eng. was Manf. 8-26 -2012 ( made in China , label is right on flywheel shroud )
Very true manuel calls for SG, SH, SJ, or Higher , i had phone talk with Kubota Rep. ( 40 mins. ) last wk. and i ask him if it was OK and would my 2 yr warranty be Void if i change oil ( 50 hrs. ) and use Synthetic , he said long as i stay in Viscosity it would be fine.
This guy said he was Kubota Rep for 6 states , so i told him my results from using Syn. oil in my older Kubota (16 yrs ) with Kaw. eng.
he has no problem with my Syn. choice .

K

KennyV

[/URL]
Flat tappet failure using the new automobile gasoline engineoils is a real problem with older engines. I've seen mopar cams destroyed.
The higher zddp is a definite help... and like I said, the oil viscosity is arrived differently with synthetic oils... I never suggested anyone use mineral oil that is out of the 'range' recommended... :smile:KennyV

K

KennyV

i have spoke with Kubota & Kohler Manf.
and they try their best to convince me what a Great eng . i have but, if it is so Great then Why do i read so many Neg . reply on Kohler Courage . without doubt i will use Full Synthetic eng. oil after i get the 50 hr. break in period over. I was already leaning toward Rotella T6 then i read it is basicly for Desiel eng.
For me i would have felt much more secure if Kubota had stayed with the Kaw. engs .

There may be a rare failure in any engine... But like you said the Kohler Courage seems to have had a run of engine problems. Aside from assembly errors or inferior metals, I do not know why it is so difficult to make a reliable engine today. It may have been early production run problems, hope they have it all worked out...
You will absolutely reduce wear running Rotella T6 or Amsoil...
And running Diesel rated Synthetic has been common practice in Many heavy duty applications... :smile:KennyV

Ric

Ric

It has the V twin SV-710 Kohler Courage eng. was Manf. 8-26 -2012 ( made in China , label is right on flywheel shroud )
Very true manuel calls for SG, SH, SJ, or Higher , i had phone talk with Kubota Rep. ( 40 mins. ) last wk. and i ask him if it was OK and would my 2 yr warranty be Void if i change oil ( 50 hrs. ) and use Synthetic , he said long as i stay in Viscosity it would be fine.
This guy said he was Kubota Rep for 6 states , so i told him my results from using Syn. oil in my older Kubota (16 yrs ) with Kaw. eng.
he has no problem with my Syn. choice .

I ran the 20 hp Kohler single cylinder, I also ran the same engine 20hp V-twin you have purchased in 2008 along with 22hp Kohler I'm still running now. I learned my lesson with synthetic oil and I'll never run it in any of my engines again. I did the same thing you're talking about doing and it turned my LT 1045 CC Kohler single at just over 100 hrs into the nicest mosquito foggier in the world.

I took my 1045 to the shop to be fixed and I told them what I did at the 50 hr change and what I put in was the Mobil 1 for oil, they called a day later and said the mower was ready to be picked up it was fixed, all the mechanic did was changed the oil back to the regular oil and the thing run great and never smoke again. The 1045 with the kohler single had almost 500 hrs when I sold it, my CC Z-force 44" was the same when sold and the 22hp in my 48" z-force is coming up to 700 hrs, all Courage engines. All my engines Kohler, Kawasaki, Honda and one crap Briggs run nothing but Mobil Super 5000 10w30 motor oil and change my oil every 50hrs with filter and I run my mowers six days a week. The thing is you asked why all the negativity towards the Kohler Courage and everybody blames Kohler for there engine problems but IMO it's not Kohler it's the people running them and not following the Manufacturers Recommendations.

You'll have to pardon me but I don't buy into Kenny's theory's about the greatness of synthetic oil, I think it use is all hype when it comes to mowers. Your engine is designed and built by people who know what there doing and undoubtedly no more about them than anyone here. If your engine was designed to run on Synthetic it would say so in the manual but it doesn't it calls for a Detergent oil SG, SH, SJ, or Higher not the CF rating of a Synthetic but hey who am I, you run whatever you want I learned my lesson and thank goodness I had a mechanic set me straight and it didn't cost me big time.

C

Cow

I ran the 20 hp Kohler single cylinder, I also ran the same engine 20hp V-twin you have purchased in 2008 along with 22hp Kohler I'm still running now. I learned my lesson with synthetic oil and I'll never run it in any of my engines again. I did the same thing you're talking about doing and it turned my LT 1045 CC Kohler single at just over 100 hrs into the nicest mosquito foggier in the world.

I took my 1045 to the shop to be fixed and I told them what I did at the 50 hr change and what I put in was the Mobil 1 for oil, they called a day later and said the mower was ready to be picked up it was fixed, all the mechanic did was changed the oil back to the regular oil and the thing run great and never smoke again. The 1045 with the kohler single had almost 500 hrs when I sold it, my CC Z-force 44" was the same when sold and the 22hp in my 48" z-force is coming up to 700 hrs, all Courage engines. All my engines Kohler, Kawasaki, Honda and one crap Briggs run nothing but Mobil Super 5000 10w30 motor oil and change my oil every 50hrs with filter and I run my mowers six days a week. The thing is you asked why all the negativity towards the Kohler Courage and everybody blames Kohler for there engine problems but IMO it's not Kohler it's the people running them and not following the Manufacturers Recommendations.

You'll have to pardon me but I don't buy into Kenny's theory's about the greatness of synthetic oil, I think it use is all hype when it comes to mowers. Your engine is designed and built by people who know what there doing and undoubtedly no more about them than anyone here. If your engine was designed to run on Synthetic it would say so in the manual but it doesn't it calls for a Detergent oil SG, SH, SJ, or Higher not the CF rating of a Synthetic but hey who am I, you run whatever you want I learned my lesson and thank goodness I had a mechanic set me straight and it didn't cost me big time.

Ric, thank you for this reply , i now will try find manuel for my older Kubota T1560 ( 16 yrs ) Kaw. eng. single cyl. 14 hp , i `m not sure the type oil it calls to use but, i do know for last 7-8 yrs. i have used 10W-30 syn. oil in this eng. and gosh this eng. is still smooth as silk .
I have to agree the new Kubota T 2080, 20 hp. Kohler eng. V twin it says nothing about using Syn. oil i just have in my head it worked great in older Kaw. eng. then it should in this new kohler eng. Guess i will dig into the matter deeper and make another call to Kohler Manf. and let them make the call , the small eng. mech. i get if eng. blows may not be as understanding as the one that saved you.
This is a Kohler eng. lesson i will take to heart the reply you shared with me about your experince .

Ric

Ric

Cow watch this video Eric the Oil Guy

cobra2k1

cobra2k1

Def +1 on that!

M

motoman

Beating it to death...ok. Agricultual engines are low rpm units , not high performance. Look at the hp per cu in. The 3000 rpm is a fast idle. If people think they need $8 /qt oil when $1.50 will do just fine I guess it's fine too. No one on this forum has convinced me that syn oils run cooler, though many tried. When my Intek came apart with low hours it was not due to lubrication problems with Chevron 10w30, it was (IMO) over heat in the head. No damage whatsoever with the auto oil.

The sump runs up to 300F on hot days. I will tell you soon how hot the head gets. Even at 300F oil pressure is 35 psi and no damage. I would not run Chevron 10w-30 in a Kawasaki drag bike or road racer.

On the other hand I do not believe syn oil will hurt if kept in the proper viscosity range. Would like to hear specific reasons reverting to factory recommended oil "fixed" things. Sorry, but that sounds like voodoo repair. There are many "myths" about syn oil lifting seals , etc. None verified, I believe. The syn oil is good stuff. I run it in wife's German car to satisfy the warranty cops. Seems way overpriced.:2cents:

Ric

Ric

Beating it to death...ok. Agricultual engines are low rpm units , not high performance. Look at the hp per cu in. The 3000 rpm is a fast idle. If people think they need $8 /qt oil when $1.50 will do just fine I guess it's fine too. No one on this forum has convinced me that syn oils run cooler, though many tried. When my Intek came apart with low hours it was not due to lubrication problems with Chevron 10w30, it was (IMO) over heat in the head. No damage whatsoever with the auto oil.

The sump runs up to 300F on hot days. I will tell you soon how hot the head gets. Even at 300F oil pressure is 35 psi and no damage. I would not run Chevron 10w-30 in a Kawasaki drag bike or road racer.

On the other hand I do not believe syn oil will hurt if kept in the proper viscosity range. Would like to hear specific reasons reverting to factory recommended oil "fixed" things. Sorry, but that sounds like voodoo repair. There are many "myths" about syn oil lifting seals , etc. None verified, I believe. The syn oil is good stuff. I run it in wife's German car to satisfy the warranty cops. Seems way overpriced.:2cents:

I'm like you No one on this forum has ever convinced me that syn oils run cooler or are any better than the Mobil 5000 I use and after my experience with the synthetic stuff they never will. I'll stay with the Manufacturers Recommendations.

djdicetn

djdicetn

Ric,

Thank God someone else on these forums sees this "controversy" of regular oil versus synthetic oil the same way I do(small engines and/or automotive engines). BTW, I have a 2001 Lincoln LS with a V8 that has 151,000 miles over 12 years that does not use(burn/leak) a DROP of oil every 3,000 miles and a 1995 Chevy Silverado with 230,000 miles that uses(burns/leaks) maybe a 1/2 to 1 pint every 3,000 miles(still pretty good in my book). Neither of these vehicles have seen anything except 10W30 Penzoil since their first oil change. I don't add Slick50 or any other "new-age" products in these engines, but upon the recommendation of my mechanic(because of their mileage) I have started to add Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Treatment once every 12,000 miles to both(this is also a "petroleum-based" product as well). I don't trust synthetics or synthetic blends and never will.

Now for my perspective on small engine(lawn mower) applications:
For my lawn mowers I have NEVER used multi-viscosity which can "lead to oil consumption"(this is explicitly stated in my Kawasaki Commercial engine handbook for my Gravely). I have used "ONLY" SAE 30W Briggs & Stratton engine oil(inexpensive and available at WalMart) in all my "small engine" lawn equipment applications. BTW, my first lawn tractor, a 1993 True Value Lawn Chief with a 16hp Briggs and Stratton Vanguard, was in service for 19 years before the deck fell apart and the engine still ran like brand new and did not use a single drop of oil between seasons. Need I say more?
To further elaborate, if you can "see a difference" with using synthetics that clearly indicates better performance and if your engine manual explicitly states that synthetic is OK(and I would assume it would mention a preferred "vicosity" for synthetics) I don't blame some folks for giving a try(this did not seem to be user Ric's experience). But.......bottom line, my Kawasaki FX691V Owner's Manual does NOT even mention the use of synthetic oil and as I stated earlier it specifically says "Using multi-grade oils(5W20, 10W30 and 10W40) will increase oil consumption. Check oil level more frequently when using them." I have to believe what Kawasaki tells me in regard to their engines, therefore my reasoning for continuing the use of Briggs & Stratton SAE 30W oil. Unless further reasearch on the Kawasaki website or a reply from their Tech Support via a "Contact Us" correspondence changes that, most likely I will take my chances on their recommendations. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!

Ric

Ric

Ric,

Thank God someone else on these forums sees this "controversy" of regular oil versus synthetic oil the same way I do(small engines and/or automotive engines). BTW, I have a 2001 Lincoln LS with a V8 that has 151,000 miles over 12 years that does not use(burn/leak) a DROP of oil every 3,000 miles and a 1995 Chevy Silverado with 230,000 miles that uses(burns/leaks) maybe a 1/2 to 1 pint every 3,000 miles(still pretty good in my book). Neither of these vehicles have seen anything except 10W30 Penzoil since their first oil change. I don't add Slick50 or any other "new-age" products in these engines, but upon the recommendation of my mechanic(because of their mileage) I have started to add Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Treatment once every 12,000 miles to both(this is also a "petroleum-based" product as well). I don't trust synthetics or synthetic blends and never will.

Now for my perspective on small engine(lawn mower) applications:
For my lawn mowers I have NEVER used multi-viscosity which can "lead to oil consumption"(this is explicitly stated in my Kawasaki Commercial engine handbook for my Gravely). I have used "ONLY" SAE 30W Briggs & Stratton engine oil(inexpensive and available at WalMart) in all my "small engine" lawn equipment applications. BTW, my first lawn tractor, a 1993 True Value Lawn Chief with a 16hp Briggs and Stratton Vanguard, was in service for 19 years before the deck fell apart and the engine still ran like brand new and did not use a single drop of oil between seasons. Need I say more?
To further elaborate, if you can "see a difference" with using synthetics that clearly indicates better performance and if your engine manual explicitly states that synthetic is OK(and I would assume it would mention a preferred "viscosity" for synthetics) I don't blame some folks for giving a try(this did not seem to be user Ric's experience). But.......bottom line, my Kawasaki FX691V Owner's Manual does NOT even mention the use of synthetic oil and as I stated earlier it specifically says "Using multi-grade oils(5W20, 10W30 and 10W40) will increase oil consumption. Check oil level more frequently when using them." I have to believe what Kawasaki tells me in regard to their engines, therefore my reasoning for continuing the use of Briggs & Stratton SAE 30W oil. Unless further research on the Kawasaki website or a reply from their Tech Support via a "Contact Us" correspondence changes that, most likely I will take my chances on their recommendations. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!

I think there has been a lot of brain washing going on with people over the controversy with oil types and what needs to be used in what. You would think that if this synthetic oil was so super that every automotive manufacturer would be screaming to run the stuff in the cars they make but yet none do, only in certain cars like the Corvette, Mini Cooper and a few other High Performance cars is it used or recommended to satisfy there warranty.
I don't think any of the Mower Manuals I've looked at and gone through Kawasaki, Kohler, Hondas or Briggs say anything or recommend the use of synthetic oil, it's always A Detergent oil API Service Classification SG, SH, SJ. Yes I know it says using multi-grade oils(5W20, 10W30 and 10W40) can increase oil consumption but I personally use the 10w30 and as much or as often as I change I've never seen any of my mowers use any oil but I also know I'm a bit of a fanatic in my beliefs about changing my oil every 50 hrs and sometimes sooner if conditions warrant it.

djdicetn

djdicetn

I think there has been a lot of brain washing going on with people over the controversy with oil types and what needs to be used in what. You would think that if this synthetic oil was so super that every automotive manufacturer would be screaming to run the stuff in the cars they make but yet none do, only in certain cars like the Corvette, Mini Cooper and a few other High Performance cars is it used or recommended to satisfy there warranty.
I don't think any of the Mower Manuals I've looked at and gone through Kawasaki, Kohler, Hondas or Briggs say anything or recommend the use of synthetic oil, it's always A Detergent oil API Service Classification SG, SH, SJ. Yes I know it says using multi-grade oils(5W20, 10W30 and 10W40) can increase oil consumption but I personally use the 10w30 and as much or as often as I change I've never seen any of my mowers use any oil but I also know I'm a bit of a fanatic in my beliefs about changing my oil every 50 hrs and sometimes sooner if conditions warrant it.

Ric,
I agree it's a given that "regular maintenance" is more important than multi-vicosity, etc. My Kawa manual did say "Check oil level more frequently when using them".....NOT "do not use them". We all do what feels right(best guided, as you stated, by the wisdom of the manufacturer's recommendation).

Rocketman

Rocketman

I use Mobile 1 T4, 10/40 oil for sportsbike application. It is made for air cooled and water cooled sportsbike engines, and my Cub Cadet absolutely loves the stuff. It leaks a little more around the valve covers but everything else is good. It also seems to run cooler with synthetic! I have the opinion that an oil specifically made for air cooled engines woul dbe better than just a 30w general purpose oil. I have also used Valvoline ATV oil in 10/40 and it works great as well.

C

Cow

I use Mobile 1 T4, 10/40 oil for sportsbike application. It is made for air cooled and water cooled sportsbike engines, and my Cub Cadet absolutely loves the stuff. It leaks a little more around the valve covers but everything else is good. It also seems to run cooler with synthetic! I have the opinion that an oil specifically made for air cooled engines woul dbe better than just a 30w general purpose oil. I have also used Valvoline ATV oil in 10/40 and it works great as well.

Thanks for the reply Rocketman , when i hear others that used different types oil it helps and i learn from others experiance , i like the sound Mobil 1 T4 is made for air cooled .

tankdriver

tankdriver

I'm like you No one on this forum has ever convinced me that syn oils run cooler or are any better than the Mobil 5000 I use and after my experience with the synthetic stuff they never will. I'll stay with the Manufacturers Recommendations.

Briggs now sells a full Synthetic oil, so is it OK now?

I have a Swisher pull behind trimmer, that I converted to electric stater. When starting it, it turned over slowly, but when I put in the Synthetic oil, the cranking RPM increased immensely.

K

KennyV

I have a Swisher pull behind trimmer, that I converted to electric stater. When starting it, it turned over slowly, but when I put in the Synthetic oil, the cranking RPM increased immensely.

Every engine manufacturer will eventually recommend full synthetic... It's hard for some to change their way of thinking, even when everything points to all the superior properties of synthetic.
Using Any brand synthetic will be better than Any mineral oil... But there are those that will stick to what little they think they know, & claim I'll go with what the engine manufacturer recommends... (and That recommendation is typically the Minimum requirement).
I'm sure Briggs has discovered that they can keep their lower end engines going a bit longer if they use a Superior oil... :smile:KennyV

P

porkchop

Hello Cow! First congrats on your new mower. Two of my family members have Kubota zg23's and they have run great since the day they bought them. They both have kohler (I think) Command pro engines on them. Well two weeks ago I bought a Husqvarna mz5225 zero turn with a Kohler Courage Pro 25hp engine and like you was scared about the reviews I read. I asked my salesman and (hope he is right) he said that there were problems with earlier models of Kohler courage engines but they have been addressed and I should not have any problems. So far it has been great! So smooth and strong running. I am not to afraid of this engine failing since a lot of mower companies are running these engines it seems. As for the oil I am going to use what the manual recommends for several reasons. The first I don't want to give either my dealer or manufacturer a chance to say that a possible future problem was the result of the oil I used voiding my warranty. The second being I have a 2006 snapper with a Kohler Command 15hp engine on it and I have just used the kohler oil at the recommended specs in the manual and it has run like a top since the day I purchased it. I want to also add that I change the oil a little earlier than is recommended since an oil and filter change seems to be the cheapest maintenance one can do. I always believe if you follow your manuals recommend maintenance schedule, your mower should last a very long time. Always worked for me. By changing my oil when I am supposed to I cant see my engine breaking down faster because I used regular oil over synthetic. I feel that synthetic maybe better but if it was that much better every manual would say run synthetic only and mine does not. That's my two cents anyway. Take care and enjoy that new mower. Kubota makes a nice machine!!!

C

Cow

Porkchop , thanks for the reply on Kohler engs. & syn. oil , i certainly do appreciacate all the thoughts & answers from others , no kidding when i first relized i had this Kohler Courage i was one unhappy Kubota owner , i could not understand why a Manf. of such a good Mower would put a inferior eng in a quality name product, i have read, studied ,talked , emailed , so many people on this matter
i feel i have worn the subject out.
With the encouraging news like your reply maybe i can see some light at the end of the tunnel , I have spoken to a couple local small eng. repair fellows in my general area , and found out most the complaints are on the single cyl. Courage eng . and yes i have seen with my eyes the complete broken ( busted ) Crankcase Courage eng have . Providing Kohler has gotten the bugs from this eng. i can only imagine the lost sales because of so many complaints and repairs they have made.
I have learned my lesson for sure before i step out & purchase another product that has served me well for many yrs. i`ll do my homework before i make the plunge, just because a product has served you well in past , does not mean that it will always be that way
in this time of every manf. cutting back to save money just to be able to compete with world wide trade , BUYER BEWARE, for sure the "Ole Gray Mare Ain`t what she use to be "
I`m sticking with manf. suggestions on all mantaince on this mower or at least untill Warranty expires. then i`ll put my judgement to work with past experince , i have had excellent results with Sync. oil in past even on other lawn mowers ( their manuels did not call for it either ) for example the old Kubota now 16 yrs old with the 14hp Kaw. eng. runs Great today , my garden tiller, even the 2011 Camry car uses Syn. oil ( Manuel calls for it though ).
About all i can add to the Oil debate is my personal experience , i have NO problem using Syn. oil in any my motors Air or liquid Cooled.
Providing the Warranty states otherwise. Thanks again to everyone that has made replys to my Question`s on Kohler Courage, Command eng. & others.

Ric

Ric

Ask yourself some questions, because Briggs makes there own synthetic oil is it better? Kohler makes there own oil and to my knowledge it's not synthetic. What purpose does running synthetic accomplish? Does your manual call for you to use synthetic oil, probably not. Thing is most people who run synthetic oil don't actually know why they run it, they do because like the videos say it makes them feel better. Your manual will tell you to use regular motor oil for the first 50 hours to break your engine in and seat the rings properly. As far as I am concerned if the synthetic oil isn't good enough to break my engine in then I have no reason to believe it's better to run the stuff after break in. The oil guru's on these forums will say if they use synthetic they can extend there oil changes from the 50hrs to 100hrs on there mowers ( BS )
Preform a little test and drive your car down the road with a new air filter for a day and see how much dirt and dust is in the air filter at the end of that day then do the same with your mower, mow lawns for the same period of time and check the air filter in it, big difference and when you see all the dirt and dust in your mower filter you'll say man this thing needs to be cleaned daily cause its full of crap just stop and think if this filter caught all this I wonder how much it didn't catch and is now in my oil. A lawn mower engine runs in extreme conditions and needs to be maintained daily as well as its oil needs to be checked daily or before every use and watched and changed frequently. If you wish to use synthetic by all means use it but I learned my lesson using the stuff and I'm not going there again.

Carscw

Carscw

There have been many test on what oil is the best.

A engine builder did a test on a dyno used a napa gold filter on every test. All he did was change the oil. The engine was a Chevy 350
The oil the won was castrol syntec 10w-30 had a 12 hp more than any other oil

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

M

motoman

Very believable @ 6500 rpm. Tractor motors running at fast idle producing torque...synthetic is good but a waste of $6/qt unless below 32F. IMO:smile:

P

porkchop

Porkchop , thanks for the reply on Kohler engs. & syn. oil , i certainly do appreciacate all the thoughts & answers from others , no kidding when i first relized i had this Kohler Courage i was one unhappy Kubota owner , i could not understand why a Manf. of such a good Mower would put a inferior eng in a quality name product, i have read, studied ,talked , emailed , so many people on this matter
i feel i have worn the subject out.
With the encouraging news like your reply maybe i can see some light at the end of the tunnel , I have spoken to a couple local small eng. repair fellows in my general area , and found out most the complaints are on the single cyl. Courage eng . and yes i have seen with my eyes the complete broken ( busted ) Crankcase Courage eng have . Providing Kohler has gotten the bugs from this eng. i can only imagine the lost sales because of so many complaints and repairs they have made.
I have learned my lesson for sure before i step out & purchase another product that has served me well for many yrs. i`ll do my homework before i make the plunge, just because a product has served you well in past , does not mean that it will always be that way
in this time of every manf. cutting back to save money just to be able to compete with world wide trade , BUYER BEWARE, for sure the "Ole Gray Mare Ain`t what she use to be "
I`m sticking with manf. suggestions on all mantaince on this mower or at least untill Warranty expires. then i`ll put my judgement to work with past experince , i have had excellent results with Sync. oil in past even on other lawn mowers ( their manuels did not call for it either ) for example the old Kubota now 16 yrs old with the 14hp Kaw. eng. runs Great today , my garden tiller, even the 2011 Camry car uses Syn. oil ( Manuel calls for it though ).
About all i can add to the Oil debate is my personal experience , i have NO problem using Syn. oil in any my motors Air or liquid Cooled.
Providing the Warranty states otherwise. Thanks again to everyone that has made replys to my Question`s on Kohler Courage, Command eng. & others.

Well seems like you got your answer or mind made up on the path you want to take. I am glad. I use Pennzoil Platinum in my Chevy Colorado truck. Never had a problem with it. Again to me whats important is not taking a chance on voiding any warranties and servicing your machinery when your supposed to. Sounds like you do that and it shows. Take care bud!

tankdriver

tankdriver

Ask yourself some questions, because Briggs makes there own synthetic oil is it better? Kohler makes there own oil and to my knowledge it's not synthetic. What purpose does running synthetic accomplish? Does your manual call for you to use synthetic oil, probably not. Thing is most people who run synthetic oil don't actually know why they run it, they do because like the videos say it makes them feel better. Your manual will tell you to use regular motor oil for the first 50 hours to break your engine in and seat the rings properly. As far as I am concerned if the synthetic oil isn't good enough to break my engine in then I have no reason to believe it's better to run the stuff after break in. The oil guru's on these forums will say if they use synthetic they can extend there oil changes from the 50hrs to 100hrs on there mowers ( BS )
Preform a little test and drive your car down the road with a new air filter for a day and see how much dirt and dust is in the air filter at the end of that day then do the same with your mower, mow lawns for the same period of time and check the air filter in it, big difference and when you see all the dirt and dust in your mower filter you'll say man this thing needs to be cleaned daily cause its full of crap just stop and think if this filter caught all this I wonder how much it didn't catch and is now in my oil. A lawn mower engine runs in extreme conditions and needs to be maintained daily as well as its oil needs to be checked daily or before every use and watched and changed frequently. If you wish to use synthetic by all means use it but I learned my lesson using the stuff and I'm not going there again.

Some of the reasons I use it.

I do not care if I can run it a longer time, more worried about the wear on engine.

It is more stable at all temperatures
It also handle high temperatures better than conventional lubricants
It is better at transferring heat, meaning synthetic oils can actually help a vehicle逞エ engine run cooler
It is more resistant to breakdown or 驛スhearing, synthetics are much more robust than conventional lubricants
It can save money is through improved fuel economy....around 2 to 3 percent
They豎*e pure from the get-go, containing no undesirable contaminants

No matter what you do, 逕ーonventional oils have a level of insolubles paraffin, waxes, silicon, dirt natural contaminants. Under certain conditions these substances can form deposits inside an engine.

The problem with conventional oil is that those short, lightweight hydrocarbons tend to burn off when they get hot. This causes the oil to thicken the longer it逞エ in an engine.

These are a few reasons from ONE article from a NON Synthetic Oil Producer, AtuoGuide.com

Should You Use Synthetic Oil in Your Vehicle? | AutoGuide.com News

I am a Service Tech and have set through many sessions, and read more service bulletins on this than I care to think about.

Belive what you will.

But if increased cranking RPM from same set up with only thing changed was the oil, does not show you reduced friction, nothing will.....

But this can go on forever. You make your on choice, and I will also.

tankdriver

tankdriver

Reasons I use it.

I do not care if I can run it a longer time, more worried about the wear on engine.

It is more stable at all temperatures
It also handle high temperatures better than conventional lubricants
It is better at transferring heat, meaning synthetic oils can actually help a vehicleç—´ engine run cooler
It is more resistant to breakdown or shearing, synthetics are much more robust than conventional lubricants
It can save money is through improved fuel economy....around 2 to 3 percent
They are pure from the get-go, containing no undesirable contaminants

No matter what you do, conventional oils have a level of insolubles paraffin, waxes, silicon, dirt natural contaminants. Under certain conditions these substances can form deposits inside an engine.

The problem with conventional oil is that those short, lightweight hydrocarbons tend to burn off when they get hot. This causes the oil to thicken the longer it is in an engine.

These are a few reasons from ONE article from a NON Synthetic Oil Producer, AtuoGuide.com

Should You Use Synthetic Oil in Your Vehicle? | AutoGuide.com News

I am a Service Tech and have set through many sessions on this.

Belive what you will. But increased cranking RPM from same set up with only thing changed was the oil, does not show you reduced friction, nothing will.....

But this can go on forever. You make your on choice, and I will also.

P

polly

Flat tappet failure using the new automobile gasoline engineoils is a real problem with older engines. I've seen mopar cams destroyed.
The higher zddp is a definite help... and like I said, the oil viscosity is arrived differently with synthetic oils... I never suggested anyone use mineral oil that is out of the 'range' recommended... :smile:KennyV

Have always trusted your opinion. i believe it calls for an oil change on my zeroturn kubota engine every 75 to 150 hrs depending on the terain. If i was to go to rotella t6 and change just the filter every 50 hrs. till i hit 150 or 200 hrs. and than give it a full oil change. Does that not sound like something that would work. I was told the oil does not break down that fast and as long as your changing the filters and topping it up each oil change. This seems like something that would work. your thoughts please. polly

S

startrite

Kentucky

I have a Kohler Courage 24hp V-twin on my Husqvarna Zero-Turn and the manual calls for 10w30 SG, SH & SJ classification or higher. You can use any full synthetic brand with the same specification as the conventional oils. I've been running full synthetic in mine for several years with no problem at all. Full synthetic takes the higher heat of small engines far better and won't break down like conventional oils.