Fuel Pumps

Ltmt

Threads
I recently post about trouble with my Hustler Fastrak not wanting to start. I believe in my last post that I stated that I put a new carburetor on it and it ran fine after that. Well I must have had a senior moment when I made that post because I didn't put a carb on I replaced the fuel pump.
The second reason that that I am making this post is that my neighbor has a 2013 Troybilt zero turn with a 20 hp. Kohler engine. He was having trouble with it constantly dying on him as he mowed. It would run fine as long as there was not any strain on the engine like blades turning and cutting grass, but when that happened it might run two or three minutes before it would die just like it ran out of gas. Long story short I replaced the fuel pump on his mower and now it runs just fine.
I would have never thought that that the fuel pumps would go out like that because my experience has always been that those are rather reliable. So if you are experiencing problems like that take a look at the fuel pump for a possible culprit.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There is a little sintered brass air filter which gets clogged and will stop the pump from working.
They do have a rubber diaphram in there which can split but I have never had a problem with the ones I service regularly as I always clean the filter

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Other then broken fitting I also have to say I have never replaced a fuel pump for not operating proper. Not saying it can't happen. The older mechanical pumps I have seen go bad. So I can see it happing now I will get a run of them. I had a customer last year that installed his own fuel pump and he put the hoses on in the wrong places and that fuel pump didn't work for him till I reinstalled the hoses.