Fuel issues

imawelder2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi guys I am new to here and hope you all can help. I have a craftsman 18 hp 42" cut that I bought second hand 2 years ago. This year when I took it out to mow I kept having to baby the throttle/choke to keep it running for about the first 10 minutes, after which it would run fine. Then one day it just sounded like it choked out and died. Since then I have put in a new carburetor, spark plug, fuel filter, fuel line and run PB blaster mower tune up though it. If I let it sit for a while when I try to start it it fires once then dies, same thing if I put starter fluid in the carburetor. It acts like it is not getting fuel but the float container has fuel in it. Any ideas?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to LMF...
If it is not starting or running on starter fluid... Your problem is not going to be fuel related...
What make engine is it? :smile:KennyV

imawelder2

Forum Newbie
Threads
This is my first small engine I am working on, how would I go about checking the head gasket, and how much skill is required to work on or replace?

imawelder2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Could it be the rocker cover gasket? I started my way into the engine and that gasket was in pieces.

imawelder2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for everyone's help. I replaced the rocker gasket and head cylinder gasket. while inside saw I had a bent push rod. After replacing it and putting it all together it fired right up. I am not sure if this has always been the issue or the new carburetor on it but now it sounds better then ever, almost like a little racing engine.

imawelder2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Okay new problem and question. After about 30 min of mowing I started getting smoke from the carburetor and exhaust. It would come in in big puff then none for about 30 seconds then another big puff. Talking with a friend they thought I had put the cylinder head gasket back on incorrectly. He said something that there was a specific sequence the bolts were supposed to go back on and a specific torque for the nuts. Any ideas of where to find this?