Flywheel magnet broke off, engine will not start

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah, but a part that does not touch anything, kind of brings up questions, eh?

ron350

Forum Newbie
Threads
SeaPrp04 thanks for posting the picture.

Magnet was glued on not cast into the flywheel.
That looks like a very cheap way to mount a magnet to the flywheel.

SeaPro04

Forum Newbie
Threads
The only thing that it could hit would be the coil, and an impact like that surely did damage on the coil and the posts that the coil mounts on. , so post some pictures of that, and
I might start to at least believe a tiny shred of this thread.

The new coil should arrive today, I'll post an update soon.
If this doesn't work, I have no choice but to bring it a professional.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
SeaPrp04 thanks for posting the picture.

Magnet was glued on not cast into the flywheel.
That looks like a very cheap way to mount a magnet to the flywheel.

I would think the magnet is installed with some kind of epoxy and then it looks like a pin or threaded rod is installed in the center. I was looking at a older B&S flywheel and it looked the magnet was built right into the flywheel and then pined. Yes it just looks like just another way to cheapen up on building a engine. If the coil was hitting the flywheel it just seems there would hit marks on the flywheel ? I will say it looks like a defect in manufacturing ? Unless maybe the flywheel was removed and dropped on the floor or hit some time in its life??? Its impossible to know this on a forum. You will need more then a new coil, maybe a new flywheel.

SeaPro04

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would think the magnet is installed with some kind of epoxy and then it looks like a pin or threaded rod is installed in the center. I was looking at a older B&S flywheel and it looked the magnet was built right into the flywheel and then pined. Yes it just looks like just another way to cheapen up on building a engine. If the coil was hitting the flywheel it just seems there would hit marks on the flywheel ? I will say it looks like a defect in manufacturing ? Unless maybe the flywheel was removed and dropped on the floor or hit some time in its life??? Its impossible to know this on a forum. You will need more then a new coil, maybe a new flywheel.

Thanks for your reply. I have replaced a new flywheel and there's no evident of any markings or scratch marks on the origanl flywheel.

dennis morris

Threads
Did u take off your coil? and did u put it back right side up