fly pin

mcribbz

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2009 6.50 self propelled mower. It was my uncle's, he used it one year and had to take it back to lowes to get fixed. They told him that the fly pin was bad and they wanted him to ship it off to be fixed. He just bought a rider instead. Now the mower is mine and I have no idea where the fly pin is. If anyone could help me out I would appreciate it. Thanks for your time.

Grass ala Mowed

Threads
Do you mean "flywheel" pin? There is usually a key Small metal piece about 1 inch long and 3/16 inch square) and keyway that keeps the flywheel registered to the crankshaft. If the key breaks, the flywheel and ignition go out of time and the engine won't run. The flywheel key or pin would be under the nut that holds the flywheel onto the crankshaft.

midnite rider

Lawn Addict
Threads
I do not know of a fly pin. Maybe he meant the flywheel key or flywheel shear pin. If it sheared the timing will be off and the mower will not run properly if at all. To replace it you will have to remove the shrouds and covers on top of engine to get to the flywheel. There is a large nut holding the flywheel on that you will have to remove. Then you can pull the flywheel off and replace the sheared key. It should set in a groove. Hope this helps.

mcribbz

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am gonna get on it in the morning. I will let you guys know how it turned out. Thanks for your help.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am gonna get on it in the morning. I will let you guys know how it turned out. Thanks for your help.

Make sure you use the right key for what ever engine you have or you can do a lot of damage to the crankshaft and flywheel. Just don't buy a steel key from the hardware store

mcribbz

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks guys this fixed it right up. Put in a new oem key changed the fuel and air filter and it fired right up. Thanks again for all of the help. :biggrin:

Grass ala Mowed

Threads
Thank you very much for the update. Too many times we give advice and never know if we helped or not. Enjoy your mower.