fix Honda HRX217KVKA motor or find new or used motor ?

gentlejax

Threads
  • / fix Honda HRX217KVKA motor or find new or used motor ?
I got this mower and it ran but had a oil leak. I didnt run it long and dont know small engines so it went to my repair guy who lives in my neighborhood and repaired the oil leak in my John Deere 14PB cheap...

anyhow he tried to fix it but discovered the leak was not what what he originally thought and he gave me this news today, this was his exact wording: "bad news, not the oil pan. crankcase vent hose was off the air cleaner .excess crankcase pressure caused by blow by was causing oil to be expelled thru the vent hose , so you need a new motor or overhaul this one"

I asked him what parts exactly we need as this previous text meant zero to me.

he got back with me and said I need rings , rod bearings and gaskets.

he is a good guy and he is cheaper than repair shops but he has been repairing this stuff for decades. former John deere mechanic he now is self employed . I trust him no issue there.

what I need to know is it worth fixing the motor or finding another motor or just not fixing it at all? I actually like the HOnda better than my JD because it has more power and newer. for the 10 minutes I used it it worked better for me than the JD.

I read all the time " its not worth fixing and you should by a different mower" he will be getting backl to me tommorrow with cost to get it "overhauled" ....

just looking I found this motor for $150. I Just dont know if this willl work on my mower. I know they use Honda mowers on a variety of stuff..

Honda GCV190 Engine for Pressure Washers | eBay

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
just looking I found this motor for $150. I Just dont know if this willl work on my mower. I know they use Honda mowers on a variety of stuff..

There are dozens of "flavors" of the Honda GXV190 engine, and there is an exact, matching version for your HRX217VKA mower, but the trouble is, it is expensive. A direct replacement engine from Honda has a list price of $350~$360. You'd transfer over some parts, like the exhaust/muffler, but the base block, piston, valvetrain, etc. are all 100% new with a factory warranty. Depending on the labor costs, it would probably be less costly to rebuild the old one, but you'd need to get a firm quote on parts to be sure.

Plan B would be to shop around for another HRX; pretty good chance you could find a gently used one for less than the cost of a new engine. If you get lucky, it may even have some factory warranty remaining. To confirm, drop me a Private Message with the serial number off the back of the mower deck, and I'll look-up to see if any warranty remains.

For a replacement engine, be aware not just any GXV190 will do the job; your VKA model requires an engine with the correct set-up for use with mower blades, engine speed, etc. so a pressure-washer or generic GXV190 engine, while attractive in price, is not the best fit for your mower.

gentlejax

Threads
There are dozens of "flavors" of the Honda GXV190 engine, and there is an exact, matching version for your HRX217VKA mower, but the trouble is, it is expensive. A direct replacement engine from Honda has a list price of $350~$360. You'd transfer over some parts, like the exhaust/muffler, but the base block, piston, valvetrain, etc. are all 100% new with a factory warranty. Depending on the labor costs, it would probably be less costly to rebuild the old one, but you'd need to get a firm quote on parts to be sure.

Plan B would be to shop around for another HRX; pretty good chance you could find a gently used one for less than the cost of a new engine. If you get lucky, it may even have some factory warranty remaining. To confirm, drop me a Private Message with the serial number off the back of the mower deck, and I'll look-up to see if any warranty remains.

For a replacement engine, be aware not just any GXV190 will do the job; your VKA model requires an engine with the correct set-up for use with mower blades, engine speed, etc. so a pressure-washer or generic GXV190 engine, while attractive in price, is not the best fit for your mower.

thanks Robert....I am waiting to hear back on parts cost and quote to repair what I have. I have located another HRX217 within driving distance but dont know yet what I wish to do. until I hear from my repair guy I am not sure. I found another JD mower but the guy is so slow to reply and now he tells me someone else may buy it even though I have been on him for 2 days to buy buy buy...

anyhow thanks for clearing that up on the engine swap. I will have to get the serial number , its at repair shop