First mower for <$300

Bottlerocket

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey everyone, I'm brand new here and looking for answers to a question that has been bothering me for a while. I currently have about ~3000 sqft of yard to mow and I'm looking for my first lawnmower. Criteria are simple: gas powered, self propelled and with a bagger. I'd prefer rear wheel drive, but that's a perk. My lawn is flat so no issues with steep grades or anything.

I'm sure a push mower would be fine for me for now, but being active duty military means my wife will end up having to mow some, and we will be moved away from this ideally shaped lawn.

It has been suggested to buy from Craigslist but I haven't had much luck. I found a couple John Deere mowers (JS63E and JS63C) but their reviews seem terrible and the fact that Deere no longer makes walk behind mowers worries me.

So with all of this in mind what would you suggest? I appreciate any input you have

Bottlerocket

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've been looking at used a little more, specifically Toro. Found this guy Toro self propelled mower 22" cut but not sure about the motor. Honestly $300 is my target but if there are mowers world's better for slightly more than I can stomach that. There is a Toro dealer just down the road from me. Worth checking out any of their recyclers?

midnite rider

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thank you for your service to our country. Being prior military myself I was stationed and lived on a huge SAC base that had a lot of turnover. You didn't want to get caught with an untidy yard by the lawn police. I could always find a good used mower from someone's moving out sale then resell it when the time came to move. If this is not an option Craigs list is the way to go but right now is a hard time to find a good mower as it is seasonal like a boat or motorcycle. Check around at mower repair shops as they often have rebuilt mowers that they may even warranty at a good price. Toro makes a good product.

midnite rider

Lawn Addict
Threads
Being in N.C. you may be able to find an old Snapper for some small change. They are rear wheel drive with bags and tough as nails as well as easy to use. I have two that won't quit even with all the abuse I have dished out.

Threads
I too am prior svc (retired), & also a girl -- so I can tell you what this girl likes---a SNAPPER! Get a MULCHING BLADE, COVER & MOWER. I am using a Ninja blade. Dude, I don't Mow, I Vaccum!!! And I don't own a "push mower", it's a "walk behind" mower. It's awesome! I see a blade of grass, & all I want to do is Mulch!!! I have been mulching for 4 yrs.

Yesterday, was the maiden voyage of my NEW 2y/o Snapper High Vac, Self Propelled mower #7800597(new to me for $300!!) As you can see in the photo, it has a bagger attachment. Just for giggles, I thought I would bag. On my machine, this is simple enough!!! But what's the point? You STOP ALL THE TIME, have to turn off the engine, dump--I just made a pile, & RESTART the engine! Seriously, what girl wants to BAG, & constantly RESTART a mower? (even my new precious machine!)

I will NEVER bag AGAIN!!! Ever! You want a machine your wife can start BY HERSELF, use to cut the lawn, then clean by blowing off the crap (hose when cold if needed), & store until the next mow. Do NOT make the woman you love bag-EVER!!! :)

For starting the mower: Being military, I know how to jerry-rig the choke handle (velcro strap), so it wont stop each time I let go. Next throw the mower forward while pulling back the rope pull. Sometimes it starts on the 1st pull, sometimes it takes 5 pulls. But at least I won't be sore the next day by cranking like a dude.

Seriously go over all the maintenance with her. Blades, spark plugs, filter, pre-cleaner, cover, transmission (oil), motor oil---& let her practice while you are stateside. The last thing she needs is a yard full of weeds & a mower she can't start! Find a good maintenance shop, & make sure they will help her out by picking it up for maintenance!!! Nothing worse than having a car, a sick mower, & no friend with a truck.

Shop your PX, NEX or AAFEES, then compare local shops, Lowes, HomeD---don't forget your 10% discount, & always ask for military discount when you shop. Q??? Find me on AKO, Louise Massie :) Here is the kicker--I only became a yard freak because of my dog "Radar." He loves to play in the yard. I can't say no to those big brown eyes. My Snapper---All for the love of a dog!!

midnite rider

Lawn Addict
Threads
I too am prior svc (retired), & also a girl -- so I can tell you what this girl likes---a SNAPPER! Get a MULCHING BLADE, COVER & MOWER. I am using a Ninja blade. Dude, I don't Mow, I Vaccum!!! And I don't own a "push mower", it's a "walk behind" mower. It's awesome! I see a blade of grass, & all I want to do is Mulch!!! I have been mulching for 4 yrs.

Yesterday, was the maiden voyage of my NEW 2y/o Snapper High Vac, Self Propelled mower #7800597(new to me for $300!!) As you can see in the photo, it has a bagger attachment. Just for giggles, I thought I would bag. On my machine, this is simple enough!!! But what's the point? You STOP ALL THE TIME, have to turn off the engine, dump--I just made a pile, & RESTART the engine! Seriously, what girl wants to BAG, & constantly RESTART a mower? (even my new precious machine!)

I will NEVER bag AGAIN!!! Ever! You want a machine your wife can start BY HERSELF, use to cut the lawn, then clean by blowing off the crap (hose when cold if needed), & store until the next mow. Do NOT make the woman you love bag-EVER!!! :)

For starting the mower: Being military, I know how to jerry-rig the choke handle (velcro strap), so it wont stop each time I let go. Next throw the mower forward while pulling back the rope pull. Sometimes it starts on the 1st pull, sometimes it takes 5 pulls. But at least I won't be sore the next day by cranking like a dude.

Seriously go over all the maintenance with her. Blades, spark plugs, filter, pre-cleaner, cover, transmission (oil), motor oil---& let her practice while you are stateside. The last thing she needs is a yard full of weeds & a mower she can't start! Find a good maintenance shop, & make sure they will help her out by picking it up for maintenance!!! Nothing worse than having a car, a sick mower, & no friend with a truck.

Shop your PX, NEX or AAFEES, then compare local shops, Lowes, HomeD---don't forget your 10% discount, & always ask for military discount when you shop. Q??? Find me on AKO, Louise Massie :) Here is the kicker--I only became a yard freak because of my dog "Radar." He loves to play in the yard. I can't say no to those big brown eyes. My Snapper---All for the love of a dog!!

Oh and :welcome: to the forum Bottlerocket and Louise. Louise thanks for the womans point of view as we need more of that on this forum. I agree with you as I love my old Snappers and my dog also.

IMG_20120501_181949.jpg DSC00058.JPG

Threads
ForumRunner_20130414_150927.png

ForumRunner_20130414_151708.png

There is something charismatic about a black & white dog :) Yours is a cutie... Quote: Repairs to old mower $300.80, NEW gently used Snapper from a loving home $300 cash. I feel like I won the lottery!

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Snapper does not matter which one the deck will out last you. Get the ninja blade or a gator blade and mulch.

If I told my wife every 39 feet remove the bag carry it over there and empty it she would run the mower over with the truck and tell me now get go the right kind of mower.

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

Threads
Should have noted: The smoky mower is my OLD one--every hour it needed a new spark plug & 4 tbsp of oil..(I cleaned the plugs & reused them) My filter & pre-cleaner were toast once a month. NEW mower used only gas yesterday, & just blew out the filter with 240mph Worx corded blower. Lite weight is essential for girlie arms.. old blower was gynormous.

Curious to see what sort of mower our young troop ends up with!! You can seriously be a victim of information overload... I saw someone recommended a Toro--& since they sell them at my local Snapper dealership, they must be good too!!