First lawn mower choice help sub $400

cazten

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey all.

Looking to buy my first mower. Live in Cali, pretty small residential yard nothing special but just looking to make sure I buy a good unit for the price. Id like to make sure I get something that lasts for years to come. Last Lawn mower my brother bought from Home Depot for 200 literally had pieces breaking on first use. Metal snapping.. ugly

Couple mowers I was looking at is Toro recycler and cub cadet sc500z

Any thoughts on your preferable mower for sub $400? I really like the Cub Cadet but there arent to many reviews besides things like home depot reviews.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Go to a dealer and buy the Toro. Personally I would not get the front wheel drive model. If you can swing it, get the cast deck, which has better wheels and drive setup. The Cub is built by MTD and will not last.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I second the toro. Maintain it according to the manual. And don't beat the hell out of it it'll last

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hey all.

Looking to buy my first mower. Live in Cali, pretty small residential yard nothing special but just looking to make sure I buy a good unit for the price. Id like to make sure I get something that lasts for years to come. Last Lawn mower my brother bought from Home Depot for 200 literally had pieces breaking on first use. Metal snapping.. ugly

Couple mowers I was looking at is Toro recycler and cub cadet sc500z

Any thoughts on your preferable mower for sub $400? I really like the Cub Cadet but there arent to many reviews besides things like home depot reviews.

Personally I'd buy the Cub Cadet SC500z. I've got 2 Cub Cadets that I use in the business and have for a few years. The CC98H and the CC999ES. I really like the front castor wheel set up, it makes mowing so much easier. The 6 speed drive is nice also.

A Closer Look at: The Cub Cadet SC 500z Self Propelled Lawnmower | Ralph Helm Inc Blog

cazten

Forum Newbie
Threads
Personally I'd buy the Cub Cadet SC500z. I've got 2 Cub Cadets that I use in the business and have for a few years. The CC98H and the CC999ES. I really like the front castor wheel set up, it makes mowing so much easier. The 6 speed drive is nice also.

A Closer Look at: The Cub Cadet SC 500z Self Propelled Lawnmower | Ralph Helm Inc Blog

The sc500z looks a lot different than your 2. I. Ant really find any info on who makes the engine either?

I don't have toro dealers near my either just Home Depot. Is there a particular reason to get a cast vs steel deck? I don't see anything with a cast deck.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
The sc500z looks a lot different than your 2. I. Ant really find any info on who makes the engine either?

I don't have toro dealers near my either just Home Depot. Is there a particular reason to get a cast vs steel deck? I don't see anything with a cast deck.

From what I under stand Cub Cadet makes the engine, it's there own. My two mowers are from two different years and before CC started making there own engines. You can buy the same mower from a couple of different manufacturers if you don't necessarily want the cub cadet but I see nothing wrong with the CC because if you have a problem the dealer will stand behind it and it's not like the parts would be hard to find. The deck there using is the same as the one my two I believe and there a good deck. The steel deck you probably wont find in that price range, they tend to be on mowers in the higher price range and are used a lot commercially not for home use where your only mowing once a week. Besides that a steel deck tends to be heavier than the stamped decks.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads

My new scotts mower has the caster wheels and wow ya between those and the friction drive its a dream to move around. Not to keen yet on the briggs intek seems to have enough power just seems to miss grass but that might be the blade.

If you get the cub you get a lot more for your money it seems. Although I am a toro fan and think you will be happier with the toro

cazten

Forum Newbie
Threads
My new scotts mower has the caster wheels and wow ya between those and the friction drive its a dream to move around. Not to keen yet on the briggs intek seems to have enough power just seems to miss grass but that might be the blade.

If you get the cub you get a lot more for your money it seems. Although I am a toro fan and think you will be happier with the toro

Which scotts do you have?

Are there any other castor wheel mowers that aren't to damaging expensive? The ariens looked awesome with casters plus a js180v but it's just way to much for me.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Mine was free 902754 is my model number. Same thing as an ariens built like a tank