Finding mower or engine model number

bryce4298

Forum Newbie
Threads
hopefully someone can help. I picked up an older lawn tractor for a project I’m wanting to do. I need to be able to lookup parts for the engine but I can not find a full model and serial number on the mower or on the engine. It is a John Deere and the hood has the sticker on it that says LX279 and the engine cover shows that it is a 17 hp liquid cooled v twin k series. But I can not find any other numbers on the engine or mower. I have looked around the engine block, on the valve covers, under the seat, and all down the frame of the mower. I just need to find something to help me find part numbers for the engine.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well you need to go the JD parts site provide it has the right hood on it.

Now the liquid cooled Kawasaki engine is FD501V-AS04 that was used. No US site will look-up that particular Kawasaki engine spec as JD has Kawasaki not allowing it.

I do have a have source that I can look it up so if you figure what you need then I can find the Kawasaki part numbers. I just don't JD trying to bar my source like Stihl did. Just some of the parts for this old engine are now NLA. The LX279 was made from 1999 to 2003.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Look on the frame, under the left side or behind the left wheel for unit numbers.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
They do tend to get pressure washed off...which one reason I record all the equipment that I can on new to my shop equipment. Just makes it easier later when the stickers are gone.