Figuring out year of manufacture is driving me nuts

smhardesty

Threads
  • / Figuring out year of manufacture is driving me nuts
OK, I just now registered because I think I'm losing my mind. I'm trying to determine the year of manufacture for a lawn mower I just picked up. It is a Remington, 20", side discharge mower with a Briggs engine model number 08P502-0167-F1 and a serial number of 2110238970214. I have searched the 'Net high and low and every site I find that says it will tell me the year doesn't do that. I've followed all the deciphering on all the different sites I found and every one of them has a number where I have a letter or vice versa.

Can anyone tell me for certain what year this thing is? If it helps, the MTD model number is 11A-02B7752 and a serial number of 1L08MK11755. And if anyone has a link to a website that truly does correctly decipher Briggs model numbers to determine year, I'd love to have that link.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Double check the code number you posted for the engine. It should be after the F1. Briggs does not use serial numbers.

smhardesty

Threads
OK. I just double checked to be sure. The model number I provided is correct. The screenshot below is from the Parts Warehouse website. I'm sure I have the correct model number. As for the serial number, I'm not sure what you mean by "Briggs does not use serial numbers". Every Briggs motor I ever saw has a serial number. Are you meaning that the serial number doesn't indicate the year of manufacture? Otherwise I'm kind of confused by your statement.

Screenshot_2022-12-08_16-55-46.png

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you look at your Briggs engine number, you will find a MODEL, TYPE, AND CODE numbers. All listed together, which is how they identify their engines You posted 08P502 which is the MODEL, 0167-F1 which is the type, but no code. This code number will tell use the day, month, and year of manufacture, plus where it was manufactured.

smhardesty

Threads
Nope, I have triple checked everyplace on that engine there is to look. There are no numbers after the F1. I did, however, find the number stamped on the side of the engine with a second number stamped in also. It states, "DOM 10 23 2021". So, it was definitely manufactured in October of 2021. I got that part figured out. As for any additional numbers after the F1, there just isn't anything.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you look at your Briggs engine number, you will find a MODEL, TYPE, AND CODE numbers. All listed together, which is how they identify their engines You posted 08P502 which is the MODEL, 0167-F1 which is the type, but no code. This code number will tell use the day, month, and year of manufacture, plus where it was manufactured.
Rivets. Briggs is using serial numbers and are required when filing warranty claims. It is normally just a sticker on the engine some place and not part of the normal model type code. The first part of the serial number is also the code or 21102389 Or to the OP October 23, 2021. The engine serial number can also be used to look up engines on The Power Portal.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thank you IL. Due to the pandemic and health reasons I retired from the shop two and a half years ago and didn’t realize the change. To the OP, I apologize for the confusion.

smhardesty

Threads
Rivets. Briggs is using serial numbers and are required when filing warranty claims. It is normally just a sticker on the engine some place and not part of the normal model type code. The first part of the serial number is also the code or 21102389 Or to the OP October 23, 2021. The engine serial number can also be used to look up engines on The Power Portal.

Ahhh. I get it now. The first 6 digits of the serial number on these new motors is the manufacturing date. Quite obviously none of the websites I visited have the latest, up to date info on Briggs model numbers, serial numbers, and DOM. Maybe that's why none of them made sense when I was trying to figure it out. They all were providing info on how to determine DOM from the old model number system and not the newest numerical system.

Many thanks there, ILENGINE. I do appreciate that bit of knowledge. Are you aware of any website that has ALL the different ways of determining DOM? It would sure be nice if that info was all available on a single website.

A side note. I have also been completely unable to find any website that has correct DOM data for MTD products. I was unable to determine DOM from any website using the model number and serial number. I'm guessing that updated info hasn't made it onto any of the websites claiming to tell a person what year a product was manufactured through the model or serial numbers.

And to Rivets. No need for an apology. No harm done. Things change awfully fast these days. I spent 30 plus years in the computing industry. Taking even 6 months off in that field will put a fella WAY behind the ole 8 ball.

Now, the good news. I bought this Remington mower off a young couple in Southwestern Indiana. When I saw the photos online and saw the asking price, I immediately thought that there was something I wasn't seeing. He told me via online messaging that he bought the mower this last spring and now they had no need for it, for whatever reason. The asking price was $25. No kidding. I had to drive a short distance to where he was located. I really thought I was going to get there and find a mower with a bent shaft or maybe blowing smoke. When I got there all I did was push the primer bulb three times and gave it a good pull on the rope. She fired right up and purred like a kitten. I kept thinking there was something I was missing. I've started it here in the garage a couple of times already and each time it fired right up and settled into a nice, even roar. I've checked online and this mower is selling for around $250 on several sites. I found one site that had it listed for $199 and that was the lowest I found. That site also said they were currently out of stock, too. I have to wonder why a young couple would lay out $250 for a mower, use it a single season, then sell it for $25. I sure couldn't have done that when I was under age 20. LOL!

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ahhh. I get it now. The first 6 digits of the serial number on these new motors is the manufacturing date. Quite obviously none of the websites I visited have the latest, up to date info on Briggs model numbers, serial numbers, and DOM. Maybe that's why none of them made sense when I was trying to figure it out. They all were providing info on how to determine DOM from the old model number system and not the newest numerical system.

Many thanks there, ILENGINE. I do appreciate that bit of knowledge. Are you aware of any website that has ALL the different ways of determining DOM? It would sure be nice if that info was all available on a single website.

A side note. I have also been completely unable to find any website that has correct DOM data for MTD products. I was unable to determine DOM from any website using the model number and serial number. I'm guessing that updated info hasn't made it onto any of the websites claiming to tell a person what year a product was manufactured through the model or serial numbers.

And to Rivets. No need for an apology. No harm done. Things change awfully fast these days. I spent 30 plus years in the computing industry. Taking even 6 months off in that field will put a fella WAY behind the ole 8 ball.

Now, the good news. I bought this Remington mower off a young couple in Southwestern Indiana. When I saw the photos online and saw the asking price, I immediately thought that there was something I wasn't seeing. He told me via online messaging that he bought the mower this last spring and now they had no need for it, for whatever reason. The asking price was $25. No kidding. I had to drive a short distance to where he was located. I really thought I was going to get there and find a mower with a bent shaft or maybe blowing smoke. When I got there all I did was push the primer bulb three times and gave it a good pull on the rope. She fired right up and purred like a kitten. I kept thinking there was something I was missing. I've started it here in the garage a couple of times already and each time it fired right up and settled into a nice, even roar. I've checked online and this mower is selling for around $250 on several sites. I found one site that had it listed for $199 and that was the lowest I found. That site also said they were currently out of stock, too. I have to wonder why a young couple would lay out $250 for a mower, use it a single season, then sell it for $25. I sure couldn't have done that when I was under age 20. LOL!
I haven't figured out the new MTD serial numbers system where that are using a letter for the 5 digit in the serial number but they could be using a VIN code system because M is 2021 but as far as the older serial numbers an the first part of your serial number the first digit doesn't really mean much. the second digit A through L is the month. A is January and L is December. the next two digits are the day of manufacture. And the older system for the 5th digit was the year 0-9 So it looks like December 8 for your mower. And I would assume the M is 2021. But the K and L always referred to the next model year. So a L would be a 2022. model.

Last edited:

smhardesty

Threads
I'll have to keep researching those codes from MTD. It's funny that not one person has put the way to decipher the new numbers on a website somewhere on the "Net. Maybe somebody will get that info posted in the near future.