Fertilizing

scottief

Threads
HI all,

I am offering Fertilizing this year and i haven't really done much of it. How do I know how much to use on each property? I know you need to know the square footage. How do you guys measure the yard. Also what would you recommend to use to spread the fertilizer with? I use one of the walk behind spreaders that i got from the guy i bough my business from but its hard to tell how much is coming out. The numbers don't seem to work for me, but i also think the machine is not set proper.

If I buy a brand such as Scotts, it tells you what number to put on the machine. The stuff I buy is from a farming store and the bag dosent tell what setting to use. How do I figure that out. I hope this makes sense. Thanks

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I put about 10 pounds per 1000 sqft that's what it says. Usually 1lb of nitrogen per 100sqft. It's up to you to devise if a yard needs a little more or less how much it grows.. I usually use 10 pounds of fertilizer on each yard once a month keeps it growing and looking good and I use a scoffed hand held broadcast spreader

possum

Threads
You need to stick to lawn mowing. Learn about the fertilizer business and then offer it to customers. There is more to know than a spreader and a bag. At least learn how to measure square footage. And do not whatever you do apply one pound of nitrogen per 100 square feet. I would make sure I had some pretty good liability insurance as well.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
You need to stick to lawn mowing. Learn about the fertilizer business and then offer it to customers. There is more to know than a spreader and a bag. At least learn how to measure square footage. And do not whatever you do apply one pound of nitrogen per 100 square feet. I would make sure I had some pretty good liability insurance as well.

Just re read this and my post . Realized I missed a 0 1lb per 1000 sqft my bad lol

lawnbarbers

Threads
I use Scott's products and the Scott's broadcaster spreader...setting are on bag and spreader simple...every 6-8 weeks..it might be a little more on cost but watch for sales and for cast the amount ahead...for square footage divide the yard up into squares...multiply length by width and then add all your squares up to get total square footage. I hope this helps

BHLC

Threads
We don't fertilize unless we do a soil test. It's the only way to know what needs to be applied to a lawn.

lawnbarbers

Threads
Where do you get it tested at ?
we have a supplier up here in Ontario called Turf Revolution and I buy the soil test from them. Once I get the soil into little bag I mail it off to them in their prepaid package and in a week or so I get an email with the results..the kit costs $20

BHLC

Threads
We take multiple samples from the yard and send it to the University of Vermont extension. They test soil and give a printed report of what it needs. It's $15 per test.