Ferris Owner Check-In --- Read This First!

sduncan000

Threads
Congratulations! I have had my IS2000Z for less than a year - no regrets. :thumbsup:

You are correct that the pros make it look easy - I still find myself ripping a chunk out of the turf when I turn too quickly!

You will love it. It makes my 5 acres go quickly even when I wait too long and have to double mow parts of it!

tmar04

Threads
just bought 27 yr old Ferris Commercial Pro Cut 48(3 wheeler) and just love it!. Has Kohler Magnum 18, that is strong as a bears breath, and cuts smooth. I am 2nd owner and it is all original. Naturally, it is all mechanical with nothing fancy, but thats OK.

AndySKane

Threads
Congratulations. I didn't know they have been in business that long. Can you post a picture? The Kohler magnum is a great engine.

tmar04

Threads
will try topost pics as soon as I get it cleaned up a little. broke clutch cable today so can't move the beast til I locate, and install, new cable.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have the pro cut 61 three wheeler with a kohler command 22 for 11 years now and still running strong. Other then maintenance very little repairs. Had to replace the oil cooler and one caster tire this year. Sure can't complain on that.

Tom Casey

Forum Newbie
Threads
Four years ago I bought a Ferris ProCut 61 (circa 1980) for $1200. I cost $800 to fix it up, and since then it has been great. We have an acre of lawn surrounded by a hundred trees, so leaves are a problem in the fall. But I also bought a leaf plow, and with a Red Max EBZ8001 blower I manage.
Right now my clutch cable broke and the Ferris dealer wants $87 for a new one--just the cable! Outrageous! If anyone has an alternate suggestion, I would appreciate it.
Good luck and happy cutting!

Tom Casey

tmar04

Threads
Tom, I went thru same deal with my 1987 ferris pro cut 48.I finally bought my cable from turfdepot.com for 83.00, free shipping and no tax. It was a nightmare to change, but I got it done. works fine. then brake cable broke. so, same deal on it. another 83.00, lost another pint of blood changing it, but works good. even changed brake pads at same time. those things are like a tank! indestructible,almost. I am 73 and I know it will outlast me. you could fashion a cable, but wasn't worth it to me. I like things to work right. let me know if I can help any way. Good luck. Terry Martin

Tom Casey

Forum Newbie
Threads
Tom, I went thru same deal with my 1987 ferris pro cut 48.I finally bought my cable from turfdepot.com for 83.00, free shipping and no tax. It was a nightmare to change, but I got it done. works fine. then brake cable broke. so, same deal on it. another 83.00, lost another pint of blood changing it, but works good. even changed brake pads at same time. those things are like a tank! indestructible,almost. I am 73 and I know it will outlast me. you could fashion a cable, but wasn't worth it to me. I like things to work right. let me know if I can help any way. Good luck. Terry Martin

Terry,

Thanks for your response and offer of help. You're right. "Tank" is the exact expression I use for my Ferris. It's composed of 1/4" and 1/8" steel and is quite heavy--and almost indestructible. I'm 75 and mine too may outlive me. But its weight sometimes causes a problem. On inclines the wheels sometimes spin and dig into the grass.

I have a small barn with loft doors and a beam that extends outward above the doors as a hoist. I have a long cable and chain which I use with a winch to jack up the Ferris onto its side, so I can work on its underbelly, usually to sharpen the blades without having to take them off. I hope that the cable and clutch attachment will be accessible to me in that position.

Since the clutch cable consists of an outer shield with a string of bound wires that move back & forth within it, I think I will try to remove the broken string of wires and thread a similar string of wires (perhaps a bit thinner) through the shield and attach it to the pedal and the clutch itself. Do you think that might work?

Thanks again for your help

Tom Casey

Glenn Creswell

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi I'm new here. I own 4- 60" zero turn mowers. 2 Ferris IS400 and 2 John Deere 747.

6]GREETINGS to all Ferris mower owners! :thumbsup:

If you're new to the forum, please reply to this thread and introduce yourself and your mower (that is, if your mower have a name :laughing:). maybe attach a photo or two of your mower and show off your pride and joy.

Also, if you haven't done so already you can upload a user avatar (picture under your user name). You can do so by clicking on settings and "edit avatar" or just click here.

Please be helpful and friendly to all other Ferris owners (how could you not, right?) and if you like this forum, tell your friends about it. :biggrin:

We want to make this the best resource for Ferris mower owners, and to do that we need your help! Questions? Experiences? Stories? Data? Photos? Articles? Links? Cool Ferris stuff? Post it here!

Last but not least, please let me know if you have any suggestions for the site. We'd love to hear them.[/QUOTE]

nemo2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello just joined because I was looking for a solution to a problem with my IS1500Z and tried this site. I am like most of you the ride is major selling fact for the Ferris. Mine has served me well but I have had a few problems along the way. Since I am new I will be dumb and give a description of my problem in hopes someone will know what is wrong. Cutting grass today and pushed the disengage button - the blades stopped for a second or two then started right back up. Pulled up on the engage button and the blades shut off for a few seconds then came right back on.........? Has to be something like a bad switch or the clutch messing up right????? Any suggestions would be great.

I have not found a solution on the internet yet.

Thanks
Ed