Ferris IS600Z Seat Switch

Curt1940

Threads
Recently purchased 2024 IS600Z Ferris mower to replace an old 2006 Ferris IS1500Z. Wanted to replace the stock seat with a suspension seat and am having trouble with the seat switch. The new suspension seat has a different connector and does not match up with the wiring harness connector on the mower. The wiring diagram for the mower shows a normally closed seat switch and opens when you sit on it. So I found the correct wires from the new seat that have normally closed contacts and connected it as such. It will let me start the mower but when I release the parking brake it kills the engine. So upon investigation it appears the wiring harness connector has to be plugged in to the original seat switch to work. Does anyone know if there is a diode in the wiring harness connector that needs to be used? I saw another thread where it was called a mystery connector. I can make it work by plugging in the original seat switch to the wiring harness mystery connector but I cannot change the new suspension seat switch to the original one. The wiring schematic i am using is the Ignition grounding Circuit/Operator presence switch. It only shows a normally closed seat switch. I hate to jerry rig it to make it work but at present that is what i have done.
*As a note the wiring harness connector requires the original seat switch to properly work - the connector has a small plastic device between the two female receptacles which is depressed when the plug and connector are attached together. The mower will not operate correctly unless this device is depressed.

Any help would be extremely appreciated.
Thanks, Curt

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What you are describing is a shorting connector. This built in shorting strip is to prevent the operator/owner from simply unplugging the connector. It must be removed when changing switch styles. If the new switch is a pin version then a new connector with a shorting strip can be installed after the two pin connector (assumed) is removed.

And I also need the seven digit model number of the mower from the serial number tag to try to find info on the mower.

Curt1940

Threads
Thanks for the reply, I just looked at my old Ferris parts manual and found that it is indeed a shorting connector. It has a note in the schematic showing the seat switch saying that is uses a shorting connector. I thought about this last nite and this morning I got out my old parts manual from the 2006 Ferris and bingo - there it was. My new seat does have a pin version connector. I found the proper mating pin connector on Amazon. I wish my new Ferris parts manual would have stated that it used a shorting connector and I would not have
wasted so much time trying to figure all this out.

I really appreciate your quick response and you are absolutely correct. I made it work by removing the new mower seat switch and plugging it into the shorting connector and taping the switch closed, but i didn't want to leave it that way because it bypasses the safety features. Again thanks for the reply.

The model/mfg. number is 5902110

Curt